Newly Installed GUI Client Locks-up

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
AjarnMark

Newly Installed GUI Client Locks-up

Post by AjarnMark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:15 pm

On a new laptop running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, I installed the Vault Pro Client 5.1.1.12916 (same version as the server). I setup my profiles that I normally use and then attempt to open one. The GUI starts to work, but never gets past the "Retrieving repository structure information from the server..." stage. I eventually have to terminate it from the Windows Task Manager.

Notes:
* I have tried a couple of different profiles which connect to different sized repositories, and none have worked.
* I have done an intallation Repair and a reboot with no benefit.
* I have the same version of the client installed on a desktop PC running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and it works just fine against the same repositories.
* Network communications appear to otherwise be working well, for example I can copy files from other machines on the network, and I can browse the web. Although, oddly, I can't currently download updates from Red Gate for their tools either, receiving a message about not being able to connect.
* Another developer on the twin to this laptop is working just fine (both Vault and the red-gate updates).

Any ideas what might be wrong?

lbauer

Re: Newly Installed GUI Client Locks-up

Post by lbauer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Can you connect without a profile?

Is there anything logged to the client log -- vaultguiclient.txt in your user's Temp directory?

Anything in the Event Viewer?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

AjarnMark

Post by AjarnMark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 pm

Yes. I deleted all of my profiles and then connected fine. I then recreaed one profile and it worked okay. Next I created two more profiles (without using them in between creations) and suddenly they stopped working.

I then deleted all but the first one again, and it worked. I recreated one more profile and it worked. I created the third profile, and it works (as do the others).

So, at this point, my problem is solved, but you guys might want to look into whether there is something haywire under the scenario of creating multiple profiles back-to-back without stopping to use/test each one in between.

By the way, all of my profiles have the option to automatically select the particular repository to which they are associated.

Thanks for your help!

AjarnMark

Post by AjarnMark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:30 pm

By the way, the new moderator thing is a bit of an annoyance. I have been a user here for a long time, and now it wants all of my posts to be approved. I even followed the advice I had read in another thread to log out and back in to the forums, and that does not appear to have resolved the issue.