Cruise Control / Force Build

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
chris.bradley

Cruise Control / Force Build

Post by chris.bradley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:48 am

We use fortress / vault pro with cruise control and I think I recently came to the conclusion that whenever cruise runs a build it's doing a FULL get instead of just grabbing changes. Now I could be wrong here but I hooked up process monitor to the cruise control exe and when the "Getting Source" component of cruise kicks off I see data access all across our code tree... not just on the changed files.

Anyone know why this might be? Our source code tree is pretty big and a full get takes quite a while. I thought as long as I had the working folder setup correctly it could just grab changes. Here's what our project configuration looks like in ccnet.config.

<project name="Baseline - 5.7 - Piraat" queue="Dvt-Aristo">
<workingDirectory>E:\Projects\Dvt-Aristo\Baseline\5.7</workingDirectory>
<artifactDirectory>E:\Projects\Dvt-Aristo\Baseline\5.7\_Artifacts</artifactDirectory>
<triggers>
<intervalTrigger seconds="600" buildCondition="IfModificationExists" />
</triggers>
<sourcecontrol type="fortressplugin" autoGetSource="true" applyLabel="true" cleanCopy="false">
<username>Build</username>
<password>Build</password>
<host>pbs-dvtskeeg</host>
<repository>Evolution</repository>
<folder>$/Dvt-Aristo/Baseline/5.7</folder>
<workingDirectory>.</workingDirectory>
<useWorkingDirectory>true</useWorkingDirectory>
<ssl>False</ssl>
<setFileTime>current</setFileTime>
</sourcecontrol>
<tasks>
<nant>
<baseDirectory>.</baseDirectory>
<buildArgs>complete publish -D:debug=False -D:isProduction=True -D:publish=True</buildArgs>
<buildFile>Default.Build</buildFile>
<buildTimeoutSeconds>2400</buildTimeoutSeconds>
</nant>
</tasks>
<labeller type="PBSVaultFolderVersionLabeller">
<incrementOnFailure>false</incrementOnFailure>
</labeller>
<publishers>
<merge>
<files>
<file>_Artifacts\*-results.xml</file>
</files>
</merge>
<xmllogger />
</publishers>
</project>

Beth

Re: Cruise Control / Force Build

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:29 am

What version of Vault are you using?

Is it deleting all the files before performing a full get?

In order to determine which files have changed, Vault will need to compare what you have on disk to what is in Vault. Is that what you are seeing, or are you seeing files fully transferred?

You might try using <cleanCopy>false</cleanCopy>.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

[03/08/2011 8:45:44 AM] Version Check: This Fortress client is version 2.0.3.18802
[03/08/2011 8:45:44 AM] Version Check: Your Fortress server is version 2.0.3.18802

To add to the mystery... we run multiple branches of our product. A mainline branch and then a bunch of development branches. The mainline branch does GetSource in a relatively quick amount of time... 2 or 3 minutes? The devt branches take 15 or 20 minutes each.

We don't delete first. I can't help but feel something is messed up in the vault cache or the local copy for these devt branches.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Could you try performing a Get on the two locations you mentioned using a Fortress GUI client? Is there any difference in speed?

Do you use folder security?
Beth Kieler

chris.bradley

Post by chris.bradley » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 pm

Speed issue appears to be in fortress gui client too, we don't currently use folder security.

I'm wondering if maybe I could have a quick phone conversation with someone around there. I wonder if maybe there's some things we can change in our process which might make this run faster... maybe I could even open up a remote meeting and you could look at our fortress db? should I just call the support number?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm

If you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread, then I can set up a time with you, or you can call the support line.
Beth Kieler