Shadow Folder Service URL - change from localhost

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
davideedle

Shadow Folder Service URL - change from localhost

Post by davideedle » Thu May 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi

I've just installed the 10 user eval of Vault. I have everything running, except when I go to the Shadow Folder settings I'm seeing the error:

The server could not reach the Shadow Folder Service.

The URL shown is:

http://localhost/VaultShadowFolder/Vaul ... rvice.asmx

This won't work for us because we have several domains on this server. I have set up http://vault.xxxxx.com as a domain and that is working fine. If I change the shadow server URL to:

http://vault.xxxxx.com/VaultShadowFolde ... rvice.asmx

then I can see the list of calls.

How can we change the shadow service config to use our domain instead of localhost?

Thanks...David

Beth

Re: Shadow Folder Service URL - change from localhost

Post by Beth » Fri May 20, 2011 8:46 am

On the error page, do you see a box where you can type in the new URL? If so, change localhost to what will reach the service and save that change.

If that doesn't work, then let me know what you are seeing.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

hamish

Post by hamish » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 am

I'm having this same problem. I can change the URL in the box, but the only button, labelled 'try again', doesn't do anything.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:57 pm

First, check that the shadow folder cache has been property set up.
1) On the server go to vaultservice\vaultshadowfolder in the location you installed the website.
2) Open the web.config file and search on the word cache.
3) If the line for setting up the cache folder is commented out (<-- -->), then uncomment it, and change the path to something with no spaces, such as C:\Vaultshadowcache.
4) Save the web.config.
5) Create the shadow cache folder on disk and give the user that Vault runs under full control of that folder. This user depends on your IIS Process Model when you installed. If you used Machine, then the user is Network Server. If you used Custom for the process model, then the user is whichever domain user chosen during the install. Or, what you could do is give the Everyone group full control just during the setup, and then change permissions once you know it works with permissions opened up.
6) Recycle the VaultAppPool. That is done from inside the IIS Manager. On IIS6, you would right-click the VaultAppPool and select Recycle. On IIS7, you would click on the VaultAppPool, then click on Recycle in the far-right column. This action will disconnect your users, so you may need to perform it at a convenient time. In about a minute users will be able to log in again.

Now try the shadow folder page and let me know your results.

If that doesn't work, post the following URL in a browser on the server to see if it works:
http://localhost/vaultshadowfolder/vaul ... rvice.asmx.
Beth Kieler

hamish

Post by hamish » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi, I've finally had time to revisit this problem. I've followed all your steps. The IIS service is currently running under the local user account, which should eliminate any permissions issues.

I can go to the VaultShadowFolderService manually, which shows a page listing the operations supported. Note that this is not using port 80. The Vault shadow folders page defaults to port 80. If I change it to the correct port and press 'try again', nothing happens, not even a page reload.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:54 pm

I'd like to take a closer look at your setup if possible. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler