Login problem with TOAD on Windows 7

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
jeffatfaa

Login problem with TOAD on Windows 7

Post by jeffatfaa » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 am

We are using Team Coding in TOAD for Oracle with Vault Pro.

Everything work fine on Windows XP 32-bit.

I have been testing Windows 7 64-bit and have found that TOAD for Oracle can't login into Vault.
The Vault Pro Client application works fine, but these are difference DLL's that what TOAD is using.

Using Fiddler to intercept the network traffic between TOAD and Vault Server, I have determined that the problem is with the encrypted password. When I intercept the traffic between the Vault Pro Client and the Vault Server, the encrypted password is twice as long as the encrypted password sent by TOAD.

If I replace the encrypted password and RMKey string in the authentication request that TOAD makes to the server with the values that the Vault Pro Client uses when logging, then TOAD will authenticate properly.

Since TOAD is using the MSSCCI API DLL's in the VaultPro Client\VS2003_Client directory, it looks like there may be a problem with those DLL's. Possibly related to differences when running on a 64-bit OS.

Any suggestions?

lbauer

Re: Login problem with TOAD on Windows 7

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am

We've never tested Vault or Vault Pro with Toad for Oracle, so it's not supported.

Some Vault users have been able get unsupported apps that use the MSSCCI API DLL's to work with Vault, or get supported MSSCCI apps to work on unsupported operating systems.

To do this, the user creates an exe.config file that loads the .NET 2.0 framework.

Here's an example
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=15034

In your case, you would make a copy of the VaultGUIClient.exe.config (in the Vault GUI Client directory) and rename it "toad.exe.config (or whatever the .exe name is)" and place the exe.config file in the directory with the .exe.

It may or may not work, but it's worth a try.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jeffatfaa

Post by jeffatfaa » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 am

The problem does not appear to be in TOAD, but rather in the Vault code.

TOAD does not gather the user credentials but instead invokes the Vault code to do so.
I get a Vault login prompt asking for Username / Password and which Repository to select.
TOAD does not know how Vault wants to encrypt the password, therefore this has to be handled by Vault.

TOAD only uses the DLL's in the VS2003_client folder.
These DLL's are NOT the DLL's that the VaultClientGUI.exe uses.

Two difference sets of DLL's are being used, but the VS2003_client set does not work.

Has anyone gotten the DLL's in the VS2003_client folder to work on Windows 7 64-bit?

Have the the DLL's in the VS2003_client folder been tested on Windows 7 64-bit?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Has anyone gotten the DLL's in the VS2003_client folder to work on Windows 7 64-bit?

Have the the DLL's in the VS2003_client folder been tested on Windows 7 64-bit?
Yes. These DLL's are used for the Vault Visual Studio Classic Client integration. Visual Studio 2005, 2008 and 2010 all work fine with the Classic Client (MSSCCI) on Windows 7 64-bit.

Older IDE's such as VB 6, and VC ++ also work if a config file is created that makes them load the .NET 2.0 Framework, as I described above.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jeffatfaa

Post by jeffatfaa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:51 am

lbauer wrote:We've never tested Vault or Vault Pro with Toad for Oracle, so it's not supported.

Some Vault users have been able get unsupported apps that use the MSSCCI API DLL's to work with Vault, or get supported MSSCCI apps to work on unsupported operating systems.

To do this, the user creates an exe.config file that loads the .NET 2.0 framework.

Here's an example
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=15034

In your case, you would make a copy of the VaultGUIClient.exe.config (in the Vault GUI Client directory) and rename it "toad.exe.config (or whatever the .exe name is)" and place the exe.config file in the directory with the .exe.

It may or may not work, but it's worth a try.
Linda, thanks for your help. I tried the Toad.exe.config file as you suggested but found that in my configuration it was not necessary.

I have in fact found a solution to the problem.

In the Vault Client, we have setup a profile and selected the "Automatically connect using this profile" checkbox.

On the computer in which Toad and Vault always worked, the profile was named "Default".
On the computers in which Toad and Vault always had login failures, the profile was named "default" (all lowercased).

Since Toad has no idea of the internal working of Vault or Profiles or how to encrypt the password to send to Vault, I knew that the problem had to be in Vault somewhere. So I began to check every difference between the computer that worked and the ones that didn't.

I don't know why the difference in capitalization would cause a login problem, but you may want to check into this further. It obviously comes into play somewhere in the code for the MSSCCI API DLL's in the VS2003_Client directory.

For your and other peoples reference, I have successfully tested the Toad Team Coding with Vault using the following configurations:
TOAD for Oracle, version 10.6.1.3
Vault Professional 5.1.1 (19216)
Windows XP 32-bit & 64-bit
Windows 7 32-bit & 64-bit

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for the update. That's good news. : )

Vault itself is not case-sensitive, but we have noted some integrations with other apps, like Dreamweaver, do have a problem if the case is different for logins or folder names.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear