VS 11 Beta?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
mitchelsellers

VS 11 Beta?

Post by mitchelsellers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:23 pm

WIth VS 11 beta out, do you have an ETA on when support might be added for Vault?
-Mitchel Sellers
Microsoft C# MVP, MCITP
CEO/Director of Development
IowaComputerGurus Inc.

Beth

Re: VS 11 Beta?

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:49 am

I don't have a time estimate yet. Usually support will happen after the final release of a Visual Studio version.

If you use Vault with the VS 2011 beta and experience any issues, please let us know.

Until we can offer full support, you might find the best results using the Vault Classic Client with VS 2011.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 am

We haven't done any testing of VS 11 with Vault yet, but full support will be available in Vault 6.0, due out in a few months. We'll support whatever version of VS 11 is available when Vault 6.0 is released, plus the final version of VS 11.

Vault 5.1.2 *might* work with VS 11 -- again, we haven't done any testing yet -- but if there are any issues with integration, these will be fixed in Vault 6.0.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:42 pm

I was all hyped up to use VS11 on our production solution since VS11 and VS10 have compatible solution/projects and its Go Live. Unfortunately Vault doesn't work with the enhanced client (at least with VS 11 Professional).

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
The project 'EventManagement' is under source control. An error occurred registering this project with source control. It is recommended that you do not make any changes to this project.
OK

I'm not sure how to get more info than that though.

But it seems to work fine with the non enhanced client (unfortunately all our solutions are in enhanced client mode, so i needed to create a dummy project to test that).

I guess i can understand why the enhanced client fails, its tightly integrated to the IDE) and I understand VS11 is beta/RC0 and your reluctance to provide support in Vault 5 for it (why do that when you can use it as a selling point for V6). But im selfish, i don't want to wait a few months for support i want it now :)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm installing VS 11 as I write this and will test it out here.

Our top priority right now is the Vault 6.0 release, and spending a lot of time on integration with a VS beta release would take valuable time away from that.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:35 pm

You're welcome if you need any more info let me know, also i didn't try reinstalling vault after VS11 if that is going to have any impact on the extended client.

If its an easy fix then it may be worth it as people could beta test the integration with VS11 for you, but i definitely want Vault 6 asap too :)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:02 pm

An error occurred registering this project with source control.
The reason you're getting this error is that VS 11 Beta is not aware that the Vault Enhanced Client integration exists.

When you install the Vault Client, the installer looks for the registry hives for VS 2005, 2008 and 2010, and writes more than 20 registry keys for integration into each hive.

The installer for Vault 5.1.x pre-dates VS 11, and it doesn't look for a VS 11 registry hive. None of the integration keys are added to the registry. There's no easy work-around to enable Enhanced Client integration in VS 11.

Classic Client integration still works because its source control information is written to a different spot on the registry and is used by all IDEs.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:56 pm

Bummer, i thought i was going to be something like that, its a shame that to change between enhanced and regular client one has to modify the bindings makes it a pain to test in a multiuser environment. if it was as simple as moving copying those reg keys over id do that in a heartbeat, if there is "no easy work around" i guess that means just copying those reg keys to the VS11 hive wont work :(

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:31 am

i guess that means just copying those reg keys to the VS11 hive wont work
It might work, but we haven't tested it yet. There are more than 20 registry keys, so a manual process is prone to error.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

mitchelsellers

Post by mitchelsellers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:37 am

I'm running version 5.1.1.19216 and I'm experiencing the same thing that the Classic Client is the only thing that works, but I too work in a multi-person environment and need to support the use of the enhanced client.

Can anyone give some direction as to the possibliity of the keys that could be copied into the VS11 hive in the registry? I'm willing to try it, as I have many reasons to want to test VS 11 as much as possible, and I love Vault so if I could switch day to day over I'd be very happy!

Also, if upgrading to 5.1.2 would help in this regard I can do that as well!
-Mitchel Sellers
Microsoft C# MVP, MCITP
CEO/Director of Development
IowaComputerGurus Inc.

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 pm

I just tried to copy the reg keys, i may have missed one as i just did a search for SourceGear in the registry exported anything that appeared to be for the Enhanced/VSIP client, opened the reg files in notepad, changed 10.0_Config to VS11.0_Config but that wasn't enough (so i just went back and deleted what was added).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:29 am

Yes, I've been trying this here and have not gotten it to work yet. As I said earlier, doing this manually is prone to errors. Maybe there are different/new keys needed for VS 11.

However, if you want to keep trying, email me and I'll point you to which registry keys Vault client registers for VS 2010. Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:04 pm

A few weeks ago we "upgraded" from Visual Studio 2008 to Visual Studio 2010 . . . and have since found ourselves very frustrated with the poor performance and general "lag" we experience using VS-2010. Everyone on the team is having these issues, so it's not just one or two people. We have yet to resolve these performance problems.

Out of frustration, I recently started looking at the Visual Studio 11 Beta, paying particular attention to the backwards compatibility of projects and solutions that is being touted as a feature of VS-11 (see http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Visual-S ... -Studio-11). The good news is that it seems to work perfectly and I can build our project in VS-11, even make changes projects in VS-11, and then later use VS-2010 if desired. The better news though is that I'm not seeing the "lag" in VS-11 that is so predominant in VS-2010.

The only real problem, however, is the Vault Enhanced Client does not work in VS-11. In fact, it does not even show up as an option.

Is there any ETA on a fix for this? Is anyone even seriously looking into this issue? Do you have a workaround?

I'd really like to start using VS-11 now as it solves our performance problem, I just didn't want to have to go "renegade" on my local files in the process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Dave Novak

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Are you experiencing the lags with VS 2010 integrated with Vault? Or even without integration?

We had reports of performance issues with VS 2010 and Vault a couple years ago, but have not heard much since. Our own developers have not experienced lags with VS 2010.

Perhaps something in Vault or Visual Studio 2010 has changed since then. What version of Vault are you using? What version of Visual Studio 2010? Are you using the Enhanced or Classic Client for integration?

We do know that the Enhanced Client Toolbar in VS 2010 can slow things down. Look in VS 2010 under View->ToolBars->Vault VS Enhanced Source Control to see if it's enabled. Enhanced client logging can also cause a drag on VS 2010. This is enabled/disabled under Tools->Options->Source Control->Integration Options->Enable Diagnostic Logging.

Regarding VS 11 Beta integration -- this will be fully supported in Vault 6.0.

The reason Enhanced Client integration isn't available for VS 11 in Vault 5.1.2 is that the Vault client installer must create 20+ registry keys in the Visual Studio hive for integration to be enabled. The Vault 5.1.2 client installer predates the VS 11 Beta, so doesn't write the keys in the VS 11 hive.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 pm

UPDATE --

Since apparently all that was lacking was registry key, I did some careful registry extraction and indeed got it working. I've attached the registry script that made it work for me, though you will need to keep in mind the following:
  • * I am using Vault Standard, version 5.1.2
    * I have vault installed on my C: drive
    * I am using 64-bit Windows 7
Keep those differences in mind as this REG file may need tweaking in your environment.

Starting with Visual Studio 11 Beta, with the April 2012 Updates applied, I ran this REG script and then did the following:
  • 1. Start VS-11 and go to Tools --> Options --> Source Control
    2. Select SourceGear Vault Standard Classic Client
    3. Select Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
    4. Exit and restart Visual Studio 11
    5. Go back to this option and select SourceGear Vault Standard Visual Studio Enhanced Client then OK
    6. Verify that you see the Vault Pending Changes window
    7. Exit Visual Studio 11
This worked fine for me now on 3 separate machines.

The good news though it I think this "proves" that adding VS-11 support to even Vault 5.x would be a trivial matter of simply making the installer aware of the existence of the VS-11 hive.

As to the lag we are experiencing with VS-2010, I don't think that is related to Vault. And now that we have Vault integration working in VS-11, I think we'll be cutting over to VS-11 soon.

Hope this helps,

--Dave Novak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.