VS 11 Beta?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
lbauer

Re: VS 11 Beta?

Post by lbauer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Although this may work, we haven't tested Vault with VS 11 and it's not supported.

Full testing and support will come in Vault 6.0, currently out in Preview 2.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:18 pm

That's fine; I assumed I was in uncharted/unsupported territory doing this.

I'll let you know how it goes in a few weeks. But after about a full day of using it, so far no problems whatsoever.

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:35 pm

I was hoping to post with good news.

Dave, you got my hopes up, thanks for sharing, i tried it (after changing it to 32bit reg keys, didnt work, then i realized that the version number and guid were slightly different for me (mine is a slightly newer build number), but even after fixing those up i still get.

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
Failed to register project with SourceGear Vault Visual Studio Enhanced Client.

Project WinClient is bound using a different SCC provider: SourceGear Vault Visual Studio 2005 Client:{7BE9CE03-56BF-4682-9C06-78C68B134B30}
OK

So ill have to roll it back, make a few changes and try again later, if i ever get it working for me ill post it as well.

It would be nice for an official even if unsupported fix but i guess SourceGear want to add extra value for v6, if v6 is released our current upgrade protection period then ill upgrade in an instant, otherwise its all back up in the air again.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:02 pm

The entries for VaultVsipClient.dll and FortressConnectionService.dll would definitely be different in your configuration, as would the registry location of everything under HKLM (as I don't think 32-bit machines have the Wow6432Node part). You will also note that the items under HKCU and HKLM are exactly the same, except for the HKCU vs. HKLM root location. In fact, I used copy/paste and search/replace to create the HKLM section of that file from the HKCU part.

If you know how to roll it back and can properly get the keys for VaultVsipClient.dll and FortressConnectionService.dll, it should work. Looking at entries for either VS-2008 or VS-2010 will show you what you need.

Having used this for several days now, I can report that it's working perfectly. Sadly, I'm no longer as big of a fan of VS-11 Beta (I was optimistic there for a while), but it's still early. I'll defer judgement on VS-11 until RC1.

I agree completely with your comments regarding a fix for v5 rather than pushing all users to v6. I'm convinced that a simple change to the installer would make v5 work just fine.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 am

The Vault Client directory has a number of .xml files such as VaultVSIPRegistry_10.xml or VSIPRegistry64_10.xml files that contain information about the registry keys needed for Enhanced Client integration with VS 2010. There are .xml files for both 32 bit and 64 bit registry keys. You can use these as a reference for what's needed for creating .reg files for VS 11 integration.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 pm

davenovak wrote:The entries for VaultVsipClient.dll and FortressConnectionService.dll would definitely be different in your configuration, as would the registry location of everything under HKLM (as I don't think 32-bit machines have the Wow6432Node part). You will also note that the items under HKCU and HKLM are exactly the same, except for the HKCU vs. HKLM root location. In fact, I used copy/paste and search/replace to create the HKLM section of that file from the HKCU part.
I did that, i read every line in the reg adjusted the wow64 and the program files paths.
davenovak wrote:If you know how to roll it back and can properly get the keys for VaultVsipClient.dll and FortressConnectionService.dll, it should work. Looking at entries for either VS-2008 or VS-2010 will show you what you need.
Yep i always backup the entire tree before i start stuffing around so i just delete it and import the old one.

lbauer wrote:The Vault Client directory has a number of .xml files such as VaultVSIPRegistry_10.xml or VSIPRegistry64_10.xml files that contain information about the registry keys needed for Enhanced Client integration with VS 2010. There are .xml files for both 32 bit and 64 bit registry keys. You can use these as a reference for what's needed for creating .reg files for VS 11 integration.
Ahh brilliant, ill have a look at those later see what i missed.

Edit:
Actually it looks like it should be rather simple to create a new xml for vs11 (or even preprocess the vs10 one in code and point it to vs11 so it run regardless of vault 5 version), write a shim to call the install method in the VsipClientCustomActions.exe to do the heavy lifting then there would be little chance of error, its just a matter of finding time to do it.

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:35 am

I finally got it, after i first did this util i didnt run devenv.exe /setup once i ran that it worked, here is a vs11 project that should register it all (it needs write access to the vault client directory for it to create the v11 xml files, but you can also create your own) then it wont matter what version you have it will do the registration for you, though i recommend doing a backup of the VS11 registry

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0_Config
and
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0

(or the appropriate location for 64bitters)

so you can delete and re add them if you need to (i cant say how an upgrade would go with it, it wouldn't be that hard to test the delete functionality but i havent done so)

To run it you may have to fix the reference to VsipClientCustomActions.exe which is in your vault folder.

Just keep in mind this is not supported by SourceGear or Myself (or anyone else for that matter) use at your own risk (but i hardly see anything that can go wrong, there is no real error handling in that code, it was just thrown together, feel free to do whatever you want with it (if someone wants to make it a bit more rugged and pretty and post it back here please go ahead).

Also, this should work fine for 32 (which i ran it on) and 64bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:13 am

Glad you got it working. From what I've seen, once you get it working, it works just as reliably as it does under VS-2010, VS-2008, and VS-2005. I've had not problems whatsoever after several weeks of solid use.

What a difference Visual Studio Vault integration makes!

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks, I realize why the reg file didn't work for me, I have professional not standard. But yeah so far it's all seeming pretty stable. Now I can decide if I like vs11 or not.

randystich

Post by randystich » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 am

Ok VS 11 is out (not Beta) I tried everything posted and it works only partial. I don't have Fortress in the menus or context menus. I edited a file and checked it out but now have no way to check it in or Undo it.

SourceGear --- When we will have an offical fix for this???

Randy

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 pm

randystich: You mentioned you are on Fortress. VS 2011/2012 is not supported with Fortress.

Vault 6.0 supports the latest version of Visual Studio. Per our release notes posted here: http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/release ... o/6.0.html
Added support for Visual Studio 2010 (SP1) / Visual Studio 2012.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

TrendyTim

Post by TrendyTim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm

randystich wrote:Ok VS 11 is out (not Beta) I tried everything posted and it works only partial. I don't have Fortress in the menus or context menus. I edited a file and checked it out but now have no way to check it in or Undo it.

SourceGear --- When we will have an offical fix for this???

Randy
If you wanted a stop gap measure, i cant guarantee it'll work or if it does how well it'll work, you could get the source for the VS 11 registration util i wrote, and extend it to work with fortress, but i've never used fortress (or its equivalent in Vault Pro 5 or 6), but if the registration process is anything like it was for vault, its pretty easy to do.