Emails Not Working After Upgrade (5.x Std to 6.x Pro)

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
mikecausi

Emails Not Working After Upgrade (5.x Std to 6.x Pro)

Post by mikecausi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:41 am

After an upgrade from 5.x to 6.x (as well as from Standard to Pro), the email notifications are no longer working.

Test email from the Admin panel sends me a test message successfully. However, any checkins, etc are not sending us notifications. We have gone through the settings in both the Server and Client (Watched Folders and Events), but nothing seems to help.

I see an error in the log file that may be of help. It's identifying the NETWORK SERVICE account as a problem? Can you provide any more details on how to fix this?

Thanks.

FROM LOG FILE:

# SourceGear Vault Professional Server
2012-08-29 16:58:53.303 Starting SourceGear Dragnet by SourceGear, LLC - Version 6.0.0.30477 Copyright © 2003-2012 SourceGear, LLC All rights reserved.
2012-08-29 16:58:53.303 Configured Options: : LogLevel - Quiet LogReverseDNSLookup - True
2012-08-29 17:23:38.439 An error occurred loading the plugins required for Vault Triggers. The Event Triggering system will be disabled. Exception Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'. at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection) at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() at MantisServiceAPI.MantisServiceAPI.GetOpenSqlConn(MantisDbTypes dbType, ResourceManager rm, MantisSqlConn& conn) at MantisServiceAPI.MantisServiceAPI.GetActivePlugins(List`1& vpic) at MantisServiceAPI.WITEventController.LoadActivePlugins(List`1& piList)

Beth

Re: Emails Not Working After Upgrade (5.x Std to 6.x Pro)

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:57 am

Is SQL Server on the same machine as your Vault server?

When you installed, for the IIS Process Model, did you choose Machine, System, or Custom? Normally Machine uses Network Server, but I want to verify what everything should have.

When you connected to your SQL Server, did you choose Windows authentication or SQL authentication?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mikecausi

Post by mikecausi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 am

SQL is on the same machine as Vault server.

I used default settings during the configuration of IIS and SQL. Sorry, I don't recall the options. Is there a way to see what was configured and/or change it?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 am

That told me what I needed to know.

In your SQL Server Management Studio, check on who has db_owner rights to the sgdragnet database. Is Network Service listed there?

Also, check on the SQL Server Security area under logins. Is Network Service listed there?

Can you check to see if you can reach all the work-item tracking areas in both the Vault admin web page and in the Item Tracking web pages?
Beth Kieler

mikecausi

Post by mikecausi » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 am

OK, I made some changes:

- DBO was the only security account with db_owner rights to dragnet database.
- Network service was not listed under the security logins. I created this account.
- I gave Network Service db_owner rights to dragnet database only.

I was always able to launch all the areas under Vault admin and Item tracking web pages.

Is there a way to restart the Vault services without rebooting the whole server? What needs to be done for the Event Triggering system to be enabled (as per log)?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:51 am

If you open your IIS Manager and recycle the application pools that relate to Vault, that makes them clear server caches and reload information.

I'm not sure creating Network Service will work with the SQL Server, because it's a windows login that needs to be added, not created as a SQL login. If it doesn't work, what you will want to do next is:
  • 1) Uninstall Vault, but choose the option to keep the databases.
    2) In your SQL Server Management Studio, remove Network Service from the security areas for the sgvault, sgmaster, sgindex, sgdragnet, and sgnotify databases.
    3) In your SQL Server Management Studio, remove Network Service from the SQL Server logins.
    4) Reinstall Vault and allow it to reuse the same database. It should recreate the logins it needs in the SQL Server provided your Windows account has enough permissions to add users.
Beth Kieler

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:01 pm

This user had posted previously about a Find in Files error and we did an online session. We uninstalled and reinstalled Vault Server, using Network Service for the IIS process model and Windows Auth for SQL Server.

Notifications are now working. We still are troubleshooting the Find in Files error.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager