Labelling and label promotion

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
murrellr

Labelling and label promotion

Post by murrellr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:09 am

I sent this in as a support request, but I thought I should post this here in case others run into the same situation. Any help will be appreciated.

I have a situation where I had to modify an old labeled build. We usually build our product from the latest version, then apply a label to all files. New development continues on from the label. When I performed this earlier build, I had promoted a file after labeling, which removed the ability to pin the old label. For the rebuild, I pulled in the latest of a few files and rebuilt in the original working folder.

Now I have the situation where I have to apply a new label to all the files that have the old label, except for a few files where I need to promote those labels. How do I do this?

Client Information
Vault Professional Client Version: 5.1.2.19283
.NET Framework Version: 2.0.50727.3643
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack: 3.0
OS Version: 5.1.2600
Total Physical Memory: 1.99 GB
Time Zone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Server Information
Server Version: 5.1.2.19283
.NET Framework Version: 2.0.50727.3625
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack: 3.0
OS Version: 5.1.2600
Timezone: (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)
SQL Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86)

License Information
1 serial number(s):
1 of 1: 12 full users, permanent

Beth

Re: Labelling and label promotion

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 am

Perform a Show History, but in the actions, filter by label only. Then look in the results for where you applied the old label.

Right-click the same folder and select Label. You will make another label, but on that same folder version. Once the label is applied, you can close history.

Next, go to Show Labels and select the label you just made. Use label promotion to change the files you need to change.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

murrellr

Post by murrellr » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:26 am

This seems to work correctly once. Here is the scenario I am in. Some time ago I created a label LABEL_A to mark a release, and there had been more releases since then. Then sometime later, I had to change the LABEL_A build. I follow the above procedure by labeling all LABEL_A files to LABEL_B and promoting LABEL_B on the files that changed. Now I have to make another change to this version. I get LABEL_B, make my change and build. Now, when I apply LABEL_C to LABEL_B as above, none of the LABEL_B promoted files get LABEL_C. The LABEL_A versions of the files get LABEL_C.

I realize this is not how Vault is supposed to work. Labels are applied to versions. Is there a way I can find the LABEL_B promoted files so I can manually promote LABEL_C on them?

P.S. The Vault administrator loathes branches for some reason (the correct way to do what I need to do), so this is why I am doing this round-about way.

I upgraded to Vault version 6, so here are my particulars:
Client Information
Vault Professional Client Version: 6.1.0.30531
.NET Framework Version: 4.0.30319.18444
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack: 1.0
OS Version: 6.1.7601
Total Physical Memory: 3.1 GB
Time Zone: (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Server Information
Server Version: 6.1.0.30531
.NET Framework Version: 4.0.30319.18063
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack: 1.0
OS Version: 6.1.7601
Timezone: (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
SQL Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.5000.00 (Intel X86)

License Information
3 serial number(s):
1 of 3: 12 full users, permanent
2 of 3: 5 full users, permanent
3 of 3: 12 full users, permanent

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 am

With Vault 6 about the only thing I can think of is going to take a little bit of leg work.

You could try this:
+ Show Labels on the folder in question.
+ "View" the label contents of LABEL_B. Move the View off to the side.
+ Back on Show Labels, invoke "Promotion" on LABEL_C. Move the Promotion window off to the side.
+ Back on Show Labels, highlight LABEL_A and LABEL_B. From the context menu, invoke Diff on the labels. This should give you a report of the promoted items from LABEL_A to LABEL_B.
+ Using the DIFF info against the view of LABEL_B, go through LABEL_C and make the same promotions.
+ Once saved, pat yourself on the back, and find a beverage of your choice. Your done.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear