New install & login

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
BobInCT

New install & login

Post by BobInCT » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi,
I just downloaded and installed Vault Pro on my Win-7 64-bit box. I've had an older version installed on my old PC for years and brought over the SQL Server 2005 database. After a seemingly successful installation I cannot log in - I keep getting the error that my ID and/or password are invalid. I installed as a trusted connection so I can't see how they would be invalid. I uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result.

Any idea what could be wrong?

-Bob

Beth

Re: New install & login

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:49 pm

What was the older version you had on the older machine?

What version of SQL Server do you have on your Windows 7 machine?

The first time you installed, it sounds like the database was moved over after installing Vault. The database needs to be there first The normal fix for this is to uninstall Vault (keep the database) and reinstall, which is sounds like you already did.

Can you log in using the login name of 'admin' with the password that you would have set during the Vault server install? If not, does that say that the name or password is incorrect, or does it say it can't connect to the database?

Check the Vault server log at C:\Windows\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log and look to the end to find the latest error.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BobInCT

Post by BobInCT » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 pm

Sorry, don't know the older version, don't have that box available

SQL Server 2008

The database was there before installing SGV.

Tried admin and the password I entered when I installed and get the same error

Error from log: FailNotValidLogin

Update: Just uninstalled and reinstalled for the 3rd time with the same results. Does it matter that I'm using a 3-character Admin password? This is installed on a single user PC with no real need for advanced security.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 am

Try the following steps:

1) Uninstall Vault, but choose the option to keep the database.

2) Remove one of the following logins from the Vault databases and the SQL server logins:
  • a) If you chose SQL authentication, remove the sgvaultuser. Vault will remake this user by itself.
    b) If you chose windows authentication, remove the IIS AppPool users and Nt Authority/Network Service. On this one check first that these accounts aren't running any other databases. If any are, then stop and let me know the details.
3) Find the location where the Vault web files were being installed and remove the Vault directories. The default is C:\inetpub\wwwroot.

4) Install again, but this time use a longer, but generic password. Don't use the characters ; & < > or anything that XML might have an issue with. The admin password can be changed after install.

What are your results from these instructions?
Beth Kieler

BobInCT

Post by BobInCT » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:14 am

Hi Beth,
I followed your directions but no joy. Still getting the "Login Failed: The username or password supplied is invalid." message. I switched to a simple "Password1" password for this.

-Bob

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 am

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler