Shared Projects and shared files

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
JohnBot2014

Shared Projects and shared files

Post by JohnBot2014 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:45 am

Hi

Using Vault 7 and VS2013.

I have 5 solutions all related to the same project. All of the solutions have a common PCL project. All of the solutions use one or more linked files (e.g. shared across several project/solutions) which are not in the common PCL. The projects span 3 Web apps, 1 Windows app, 1 Android app, 1 iOS app (the last 2 are using Xamarin).

The solutions and projects all use "." naming conventions e.g. solution(or project).web, project.android and so on.

I have several problems as follows:

1) Vault does not seem to like the "." notation very much, it warns that others may not be able to open the repository. However it does appear to upload ok.
2) Unless I tick the "Preserve relative disk paths" box it does not like the linked files. Not sure really what this box does?
3) Once the first solution is added to Vault, I can't add the other 4 solutions presumably because they all have the common PCL project which is already bound to Vault.

What is the best way around these issues please?

Many thanks

John

jclausius

Re: Shared Projects and shared files

Post by jclausius » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 am

Do all of these projects have a common project root (or top-level) directory? If the linked file is outside of the path of the solution, the warnings and linked file issues will be related to this, as Visual Studio's Source Control works a little bit better when paths are all relative to the solution / project.

Can you provide a sample solution / projects with some dummy files which describes your exact layout on disk? If you have something we can test, I can get a better understanding of exactly how you have things laid out, and what the best way forward would be when files exist outside the solution's path.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JohnBot2014

Post by JohnBot2014 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:39 am

Hi

No, each solution is in a separate folder at present although they are all under a common root directory. The linked files are in another directory under the common root directory which is not in the folder path of any solution.

I'll try and put together a sample as requested and post a link to it here. I can of course rearrange the structure if needed, the only thing I am not keen to do is to put all of the projects into one solution.

Many thanks

John

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 am

If you want, you can email the dummy project to "support AT sourcegear.com" with a reference to this forum post.

Thanks.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JohnBot2014

Post by JohnBot2014 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:40 am

Hi Guys

Do you have a solution to this one yet. I am desperate to return my projects to SCC!

Many thanks

John

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:41 am

I have responded to you via email and can show you how to get back to source control. Just email back if my schedule works for you.

What we found is that the linked file needs to exist somewhere below the solution file directory in order to use source control on it from inside of Visual Studio. It's best to add linked files in last after the other projects are bound.

The error about other users not being able to open it just means they can't perform a plain Open From Vault, but that error might go away once the linked files are dealt with. It's also for layouts that might be a little more difficult, but they're not impossible to open. It depends on each scenario, and I can help with most of them.

HS 231911
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support