Using client from remote location

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
dtcommander

Using client from remote location

Post by dtcommander » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:04 pm

I am a novice Vault Professional user. I can current operate normally when both the server and client are located on one physical machine. I am having trouble using a client GUI from a different local network.

Which port(s) should I be forwarding to be able to connect to the Vault server program?

Is there a way to handle this communication securely?

Is there a guide that covers this type of situation? I have looked and cannot find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beth

Re: Using client from remote location

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 am

Vault operates over port 80 by default, but it's possible to run it through other ports by setting the website in your IIS Manager to a different port.

You will treat Vault just like you would any other website with just a few exceptions on some of the options. There are multiple ways to make your website accessible to the outside world, and providing a guide to one method won't cover most users.

If your public IP is only on your router, then you need to forward from your router to the server. If you have some public IPs internally, then as long as you can get through the router to the public IP on the server the website will work.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support