Shadow folders and Port (non 80) issue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
chumble

Shadow folders and Port (non 80) issue

Post by chumble » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:32 am

Hi,

I've run into something of a problem.

I'm running VP version 5.1.1.19216 (I know, I know but it works!)

Everything was running smoothly until yesterday when I had to change the default HTTP Port for Default Website on my dev server where VP was installed to.

I had to change the Default Website port from port 80 to 8090 (and dev websites on the machine from, say, 4602 etc, to port 80).

I managed to amend the login server credential for the Client and for Visual Studio so they continue to function BUT the Shadow folder feature no longer works!

I've tried to edit the value for Shadow Folder Service URL (adding :8090 to the server name) and the result is a 'Cannot reach the Shadow Folder Service' message.

'Try Again' doesn't seem to do anything. It certainly doesn't use the URL because examining shadow service log shows a 404 AND the attempted server name is missing the port amended in the admin section.

Now, if I paste the amended URL into a browser I get the web service's "Following operations are supported' page so a browser can reach the service successfully.

Moreover, the edited URL in the admin doesn't seem to stick!

Now it gets worse...

Trying to get this to function had me perusing .config files and even running UpdateConfigSettings from the browser. I noticed in .config files for the Shadow service was missing info so I edited them.

Still to no avail.

And worse...

So I reverted the Default Website back to port 80 and now have a encryption error (I've figured that I've entered the password in the .config files and/or UpdateConfigSettings in plain old ASCII but presume you save a hash!) .. so now I cannot even revert my setup back to how it was.

Can you help ?

[edit]

I added an entry into my hosts file.

I then used this host file entry as the server for the Shadow folder URL (after checking that a browser could see the service which it can) ...

I received the same error message as before BUT the log file show the attempt was made with the original URL ... so, I sincerely think that entering anything in to the URL in the admin section is, er, 'bust' ... so it evidently needs to be entered elsewhere. By hand.

<sigh/>

Beth

Re: Shadow folders and Port (non 80) issue

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Here are the places that needs updated server information:

In the web.config in vaultservice/vaultshadowfolder is the key
<add key="shadowfolder_vaultserver" value="http://<your Vault server>/VaultService" />.

In the Vault database check plugins. That table is sgvault.dbo.tblplugins.

After these changes, perform an IIS reset to force the changes to be loaded, by going to Start - Run and typing iisreset.

Then try to go to the Shadow Folder configuration page. If it says it can't reach the service, update the URL it is showing in the center and try again.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

chumble

Post by chumble » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Beth wrote:Here are the places that needs updated server information:

In the web.config in vaultservice/vaultshadowfolder is the key
<add key="shadowfolder_vaultserver" value="http://<your Vault server>/VaultService" />.

In the Vault database check plugins. That table is sgvault.dbo.tblplugins.

After these changes, perform an IIS reset to force the changes to be loaded, by going to Start - Run and typing iisreset.

Then try to go to the Shadow Folder configuration page. If it says it can't reach the service, update the URL it is showing in the center and try again.

Hi Beth,

Thanks for taking time on this.

I check the .config file as suggested and the correct URL is there. I can still navigate there with a browser successfully.

I check the table in the SQL server but the value contained therein still doesn't have the amended port number.

I've reset IIS.

Returning to the admin section it informs me it cannot reach the service (it's still showing the 'old' URL without the Port number amendment).

Editing the field as suggested makes no difference.

Invoking the TestServerConnection (from the browser which can see the list of operations for the service) operation returns

Code: Select all

VaultLib.VaultCryptoException: Bad Data.

at VaultLib.VaultCrypto.Decrypt(String strBase64Buf)
   at VaultShadowFolder.VaultShadowFolderService.TestServerConnection()
Indeed, examining the sgvault.log file shows:

admin--**myserverUrl WITHOUT THE PORT NUMBER (12.345.678.910 (dev server IP address [obviously a real one in the log!])--SSL Disabled System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> VaultLib.VaultCryptoException: Invalid length for a Base-64 char array.
at VaultLib.VaultCrypto.Decrypt(String strBase64Buf)
at VaultShadowFolder.VaultShadowFolderService.TestServerConnection()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Values for both "shadowfolder_login" and "shadowfolder_password" are blank, btw..

... er...?

Hope you can still help.

Regards Clive

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:35 am

The Shadow folder login and password are supposed to be populated. We can manually populate that, but this will take working offline.

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?

UPDATE: I sent you an email instead with some instructions.

HS: 231545
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support