VSS Migration Error

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
Chop

VSS Migration Error

Post by Chop » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 am

I have a VSS database that we have been using since at least 2005 with many file updates and labels and projects. I used VSS Import to migrate the data. I selected maybe 50% of the labels and no security. The VSS database is about 6 Gigabytes using Windows Explorer Properties. The import quit with the following errors.
Transaction failed
File C:\Users\gchopcinski\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp38EE.tmp (105447424 bytes) is larger than the server's configured upload limit of 104857600 bytes.
Transaction failed
File C:\Users\gchopcinski\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp38EE.tmp (105447424 bytes) is larger than the server's configured upload limit of 104857600 bytes

etc, etc, etc.
I believe that this is the limit of the server's database max size.
Is the Vault database expected to be this large, 100 GBytes, when the VSS database is about 6 GBytes?
I know "Handoff" is available but I would prefer to import the entire VSS database as I need to preserve all the history, all shares and a majority of the labels.
Do you have any suggestions?
Can I import individuals projects and then somehow re-establish the shares and pins?

Beth

Re: VSS Migration Error

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:12 am

Vault can hold 100 GB, just not in one file. This isn't what you're running into though. It's just one file causing it to stop. Go to your Vault admin web page, then Server Settings - Advanced Settings and increase the IIS upload limit. Save the changes and perform an IIS reset by going to Start - Run and typing iisreset.

Create a new repository to try importing to and then import again.

If it fails again, then try Chunked Encoding. Open a Vault GUI client on the same machine as the import tool, login as admin, then go to Tools - Options - Network Settings and turn on Chunked Encoding.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Chop

Re: VSS Migration Error

Post by Chop » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Thank you, Beth. I have checked that setting... it was set for 104GByte so it should be OK.
I am removing a whole bunch of stuff from the VSS database, I'm performing an Analyze and then I'll import the data.
I'll let you know the status of this attempt in a few days.
Again, thanks for your quick response.