V6.1.0 Stupid Question 'Detect New Files to Add'

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
S1ack

V6.1.0 Stupid Question 'Detect New Files to Add'

Post by S1ack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:37 am

Can I configure Vault Pro 6.1.0 client to automatically search a working folder for any new files INCLUDING NEW FOLDERS and their files and automatically add them to the repository?

I did some searching and I think the answer is no.
Being new to source control I did a great amount of reading on the concepts.
http://ericsink.com/scm/source_control.html
Being new to source control I still managed to screw it up.

Being 'forced' to use Vault Pro by the company - but to keep track of a bunch of binary files for Labview, and other industrial control platforms....

I am familiar with the option to 'Detect New Files to Add' [Ctrl-T] and it works just fine, however I was creating new folders within the working folder that this function was not picking up....for quite some time before I noticed. Lesson learned.

So is there a way to make the client do this function and add, and re-curse folders that were not in existence when the repository was first defined?

jclausius

Re: V6.1.0 Stupid Question 'Detect New Files to Add'

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:00 am

Sorry, at this time Detecting new files and adding new folders is a manual process.

There is a feature request to consider this in the next release of Vault. I've added your comments to that request.

Also note, Detect New Files is used when you wish to detect files in folders currently exist within the Repository. When you have an entire folder structure underneath existing working folders, you'll want to use the Add Files/Folders as that will let you have fine tune control of the sub-folders and files you can add to the repository.

Finally, one other option people seem to use is to show unmanaged (ghosted) files/folders in their repository trees. This way they can get a visual representation of what may exist within a given working folder, but is still unmanaged by Vault.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

S1ack

Post by S1ack » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:09 pm

jclausius wrote: Finally, one other option people seem to use is to show unmanaged (ghosted) files/folders in their repository trees. This way they can get a visual representation of what may exist within a given working folder, but is still unmanaged by Vault.
Sounds useful. Thanks for the tip.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:11 pm

NP.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

tdrobnak

Post by tdrobnak » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 am

I am coming from using Visual Source Safe (VSS) for several years. I am new to SourceGear Vault.

In Visual Source Safe (VSS), I would Drag & Drop the entire project parent folder on top of the parent project folder in VSS. VSS would quickly scan and ignore any all folders/files already part of the project, but automatically add any folders/files that were not part of the VSS project. I tried this in SourceGear Vault, but SourceGear Vault will bring up a failed to add message stating that the folders/files already exist and ignores any new folders or files that do not exist.

The work around I am presently using is to go to “Tools->Options…” under the General tab, select “Show non-version-controlled folders ghosted in folder tree” option. This will show all folders not in the SourceGear Vault project as ghosted. I have found that selecting the parent folder of the project in SourceGear Vault and pressing the Numeric * key will automatically expand all the subfolders. This will allow you to manually add the folders (ghosted folders) that are not in the project. The Numeric * key helps remove the time consuming process of manually expanding all the folders. The Numeric * key also works in Windows Explorer the same way. In the future, I hope SourceGear Vault is updated with an automatic detection of new folders added to a project, but for now this will work.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Thank you for the additional information. I have a feature request for Detect New Folders and can add your "vote" to it.

F: 9465
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support