Migrating VSS 2005 to Vault 8

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
RSchmoldt

Migrating VSS 2005 to Vault 8

Post by RSchmoldt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:17 am

Current Server works since 2009
  • Windows 2003 Server
    VSS 2005 (Version 8.0)
    SoS Server 4.2 with TCP/IP access
New / planned Server
  • Windows Foundation Server 2012 / 64 bit
    SQL Server 2012 Express
    Vault 8 Server, 64 bit
    IIS 7
Current Development Clients
  • Windows 7 Pro
    VS 2008 Pro
    SoS Client 4.2
Planned Development Clients
  • Windows 8.1
    VS 2013 Pro
    Vault 8.1 Client
Gone Steps to migrate on new Server
  • Copied VSS database (Folder structure) from old Server to new Server
    Deinstalled Vault 8 Server 64 Bit
    Installed Vault 8 Server 32 bit
We checked here in the Forum that VSS has to be installed to get access for Handoff.

Problem: VSS 2005 Setup cannot be executed on Windows Server 2012 ( neither 32 nor 64 bit), compatibility Problem).

We did not try to install Vault 8 on the old Server with Win 2003 Server, because it was not in the Vault documentation and we assume that is correct.

Any recommendations how to migrate from VSS 2005 to Vault 8 are very appreciated. A top score would be, if we could keep in addition access to the old database for Labels.

Best Regards, Rolf Schmoldt

Beth

Re: Migrating VSS 2005 to Vault 8

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:46 am

My most recent tests used VSS 2005 on a Windows 2012 machine. Did it give you an error when installing?

Is it possibly a problem with using Foundation server rather than a regular 2012 server?

Vault needs access to the VSS automation component (ssapi.dll). That component installs with a VSS client. If you can at a minimum get a VSS client installed, then you should be able to access VSS on another server.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

RSchmoldt

Post by RSchmoldt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:28 am

Beth wrote:My most recent tests used VSS 2005 on a Windows 2012 machine. Did it give you an error when installing?
Yes, telling us about compatibility problems to execute the setup. Current OS is 64 bit Windows Server 2012.
Beth wrote:Is it possibly a problem with using Foundation server rather than a regular 2012 server?
I cannot imagine, because everythings works well, even uninstalling Vault 8 / 64 to install Vault 8 / 32. Foundation Server has some Domain limitations, but is ok for small companies.
Beth wrote:Vault needs access to the VSS automation component (ssapi.dll). That component installs with a VSS client. If you can at a minimum get a VSS client installed, then you should be able to access VSS on another server.
We noticed that, point is, I cannot find a specific VSS Client in our installer archive. There was only that Setup for the VSS Server ... we are communicating with the VSS Server via SourceoffSite 4.2.

Maybe we simply have the wrong VSS Setup ?

2 hours later:

We have now decided, to rebuild the complete Vault Server (hardware) with a 32 bit Windows Server 2012 Foundation. I am curious, if our VSS 2005 Setup then can executed on the Windows Server 2012 Foundation 32 bit.

1 hour later:

Oh oh :evil: we just noticed that our new servers have been delivered ONLY with setups of Windows Server 2012 Foundation for 64 bit ... in other words ... no chance to test.

4 hours later:

After closing all open Windows there suddenly a diabolish grinning Setup of VSS was showing us a clear sign and said the bad word "f ... you too".

That Setup must have survived all those compatibility questions about to continue without any help and then hiding behind other clicked applications. Full of hope we cancelled the Setup and started it again, now with more patience.

After about 15 seconds we saw the Installation Screen of VSS and could finish it successfully. Also the Handoff from the VSS database into Vault 8 worked fine.

Sometimes we professionals do not find our Little Errors .... then we only can apologize.

Deep bowing ... sorry

Rolf

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:26 pm

Sorry I didn't see your post before you went through all that. I'm happy to hear you were able to continue forward.
Beth Kieler

RSchmoldt

Post by RSchmoldt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:46 am

Hi Beth,

after VSS 2005 was installed, we deleted the initial Repository in Vault and used the external Import tool of Vault ... took about 8 hours to import the complete VSS database WITHOUT any error (congrats, guys !).

I like it that we could map before import old / ex employees with new members of the development team. Also a good point ... no need of manual maintenance during Import, specially the announcement !

An hour ago we have installed the Vault 8 Pro Client on another machine with Win 8.1, configured it and after restart of the IIS on the Server we now have the first look through the Vault glasses at our migrated VSS database ... a loud Aaaahhhh was the result.

Next steps will be

1. to set all the working folders and then "Get the latest Version" with the Vault Pro Client
2. start (our new) Visual Studio 2013 and check, if the VS 2008 projects will be updated correctly

Two Questions:

1. The working folders were saved locally by the SoS Client 4.2 ?
2. Any chance to export them from the SoS client and import them into Vault Pro 8 client ?

Best Regards, Rolf

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 am

It won't be possible to move the working folders out of SOS into Vault.

In the Vault admin web page, there is a rebind link that will try to automatically rebind your projects for you. Give that a try first.
Beth Kieler