SGVault TEST environment setup License Issues

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
DeannaBriggs

SGVault TEST environment setup License Issues

Post by DeannaBriggs » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Hello -
We are in the process of upgrading our SGVault Pro to 8.0. In order to do that, we first wanted to set up a TEST environment to test the upgrade process and then verify all projects/information are intact after the upgrade. In order to do this we installed version 6.1 onto a new server, then restored databases from our Production environment. Everything is working except for a couple of minor issues with licensing. Here is what is reported from one of our developers on the upgrade project:

"The TEST environment appears to be up and running, but it is having some sort of issue with user licenses.
I’m not surprised since SourceGear uses an elaborate combination of database entries and license files to enforce the scheme.
Here’s what I experience:

When I try to connect with my regular client, I get denied with a message that says:
“There are more active users than there are licenses. The Administrator must inactivate some users.”
I can connect with the web tool as an Administrator.
When I do this, I can go into user administration and inactivate some users.
But no matter how many users I inactivate, it thinks there are too many active.
On the one hand, on the license page it reports that there are 40 licenses and only 37 or whatever active users, but on the other hand it can’t read its own information, and still thinks there are too many active users.

I would like to say that perhaps this won’t make any difference and we should try upgrading it anyway and see what we get.
But… I’m afraid we wouldn’t be able to even check to see if the upgrade worked or not, because we won’t be able to get connected."

My question is should we apply the license file we received for 6.1 at this point, or should I continue with the upgrade - first to 7.2 then to 8.1 - then apply the 8.1 license?

Thank you for your help!
Deanna Briggs
Seattle Public Utilities-IT
Systems Integration Analyst

Beth

Re: SGVault TEST environment setup License Issues

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:10 pm

The root cause of the issues you are having is that you restored the database after installing Vault. Put the database in place first, then run Vault. You don't need a license key until you have completed running Vault 8.0.1 install.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support