No auto checkout

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
JohnBot2014

No auto checkout

Post by JohnBot2014 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 am

Hi

I am running Vault 8.0.1 with VS2103. Auto-checkout is not working. If I edit a file and save it then it shows as renegade but no pending change. If I checkout a file and edit it then all is well.

Tools~Options~Source Control~Integration Options = Automatically Check Out

Not sure where else this might need setting?

Many thanks

John

Beth

Re: No auto checkout

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 am

What type of project are you working on?

Are the files read-only or writable before you edit them? If they files are already writable before you edit them, then the auto check out won't be triggered.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

JohnBot2014

Post by JohnBot2014 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:20 am

Hi Beth

These are the same files we setup on Monday morning (you very kindly helped me with the Shared File problem).

I think I may have overstated the case a bit as well. I left VS running overnight which is probably the case for the main issue.

However, I have just done some testing and in my iOS app (Xamarin) the files Info.plist and Entitlements.plist do not auto checkout. There may be a few other odd ones I have not found yet. The files are under SCC in Vault but if I modify them and attempt to save I get a readonly error message. If I override that, the files show as renegade.

Furthermore, if I manually checkout Info.plist, make a change the file does not show as changed and no "*" in the VS page tab. Info.plist is edited with a graphical editor in VS. It stores various application properties including icons and iTunes artwork.

Thus at present I can't actually edit Info.plist or Entitlements.plist unless I remove them from SCC.

I am sure there is a simple answer, just not sure where to find it!

Many thanks

John

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:18 am

Just because files are in Vault doesn't mean they are set to read-only or writable. There are ways to make the files have either setting.

Before you try editing a file you would like to auto check out, can you check that file setting?

We don't support all possible plugins to Visual Studio. Let me check into Xamarin to see how it should act and I'll post back.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:40 am

Testing shows that the Xamarin editor is not triggering the version control interface. I couldn't tell you if that is a bug or if they intended it that way for some reason.

If you try a different editor, the version control will be notified. For example, right-click the file and select XML editor. If you make a change there, then the version control interface in VS is notified. We wait on the VS interface to tell us what is happening.

Your options are to either use a different editor, or to manually check out the file, or you can use CVS mode which should catch that there are changes without being notified.
Beth Kieler

JohnBot2014

Post by JohnBot2014 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:34 am

Thank you Beth

I'll raise the issue with Xamarin.

Best wishes

John