Ignore timestamp to detect changed files?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
HankB

Ignore timestamp to detect changed files?

Post by HankB » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:45 pm

I am using a tool that refreshes about a hundred files when it runs. Most of them are different only in time stamp and the contents are unchanged. Is there a way to get Vault 8 pro to ignore these when looking for changed files?

The second problem is that in some files, it updates a time stamp (embedded in a comment near the top of the file) and makes no other changes. It would be terrific if Vault would ignore these as well.

I searched the forum on this and found an answer that mentioned rulesets and ways to ignore these files but it appears to be part of diffmerge. Is there a way to do this with Vault itself? I scoured the menu looking for rulesets but did not find that.

Thanks!

Beth

Re: Ignore timestamp to detect changed files?

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:50 pm

You will want to have Vault use a CRC check to detect file changes. In the Vault Tools - Options - Local Files check the option "Detect modified files using CRCs instead of modification times."
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

HankB

Post by HankB » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Thank you - I have made that change.

Is there any hope for the second issue? For example, one file starts with:

Code: Select all

/**
  ******************************************************************************
  * File Name          : ADC.c
  * Date               : 08/04/2015 15:14:53
  * Description        : This file provides code for the configuration
  *                      of the ADC instances.
  ******************************************************************************
The only bit that will change the next time I run the tool is

Code: Select all

* Date               : 08/04/2015 15:14:53
Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a way around that. Vault doesn't have a way to ignore changes.

I can enter a feature request for an option to ignore anything commented out if that would work for you.
Beth Kieler

HankB

Post by HankB » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:26 am

Beth wrote: I can enter a feature request for an option to ignore anything commented out if that would work for you.
That would be a bit coarse grained. There are probably times when comments are important and changes in them should be noted.

I think it would make more sense to incorporate the 'ruleset' approach like what is used in diffmerge. It might even be useful to use the same rules both for detecting changes and while merging changes (though others with more Vault experience should consider that.) A ruleset that could select a line number to ignore or a regex to ignore could be used to target specific problem areas like this w/out ignoring all comments. (Think scalpel vs. machete ;) )

Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:06 am

Thank you for your feedback. I'll get it logged the way you described.

F: 18112
Beth Kieler