changed files not detected

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
HankB

changed files not detected

Post by HankB » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi folks,
I'm using the model where I get all writable files, edit what I need/want and then check in (commit) the changes. I am running into a problem where Vault is not always finding all changed files.

In Tools > Options > General I have "Act on folders recursively" and "Automatically refresh every" checked and the interval set to 10 minutes. Yet some files do not appear in the "Pending Change Set" until I navigate to the folder where they appear and hit the "Refresh." button. I had previously selected a higher level folder (where I right clicked to "Get Latest Version...") and Refreshed there and that did not reveal all changed files.

Is there some way I can get Vault to identify all changed files (which are under control) without manually navigating and refreshing each subdirectory? This is troublesome and leads to (my) pain and suffering. ;)

This is Vault Pro 8.0.1 (30299) on Win7. I have noticed that Win7 itself is pretty crappy about noticing file/folder changes. I can delete a folder or file from a directory (using file explorer) and the file still appears until I try to do something with it or refresh the view. Could this issue be related to that? I also have "Detect modified files using CRC's ..." checked in Tools > Options > Local Files.

Thanks! (and have a good weekend!)

Beth

Re: changed files not detected

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce this behavior on any Windows 7 machine.

Is your working folder local to your machine?

What about your baselines and cache location? (Tools - Options - Local Files - cache location)
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

HankB

Post by HankB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:51 am

Thank you for looking into this.

I am working in a VMware 10.0.5 VM running Windows 7 on the guest. Host OS is Windows 8.1. The working folder is a local drive in the guest, local SSD drive in the host.

Cache location is "In User Local Settings Folder"

Baseline? Is that the working folder? That is "C:\Users\engineer.TECNOVA\Documents\Projects\Vault" which is local.

Thanks!

HankB

Post by HankB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 am

Hi Beth,
I may not have reported the problem accurately. I thought I had seen situations where Vault did not recognize changed files.

Right now I am looking at the Vault screen and have performed the following operations:
  • Hit the refresh icon in the toolbar.
  • Note that a file I just edited is not listed in "Pending Change Set."
  • Navigate to the folder that holds that file in the Vault folder view, the file is listed with status "Edited" but still not listed in "Pending Change Set."
  • While I am typing this, the folder is added to "Pending Change Set" with no further action on my part.
Is this normal behavior for Vault? I would have expected that as soon as a file is identified as "Edited" it would be listed in the pending change set.

Thanks!

• ... hmmm, I don't think that means what I think it means. ;)

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:45 am

The baseline isn't the working folder. The information on baselines is found in Tools - Options - Local Files - cache location.

Can you go to the Tools - Options - Concurrent Development Style and tell me what you have set there?

If you are not checking out files, then Vault will scan the folder the next time it auto-refreshes. Even if you manually refresh (press F5), you shouldn't need to do it on any particular folder. If you have a large tree, then it might take some time to get through the entire tree.

Had you compared the behavior to Vault on another machine? A slower machine would take longer to refresh.
Beth Kieler

HankB

Post by HankB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:20 pm

I see now. Baseline is "In Client Cache Folder." (Which is "In User Local Settings Folder.")

At present Concurrent Development Style is set to (all boxes unchecked) and drop down is "Make all files writable."

I can report that the behavior "files marked as edited but not listed in Pending Change Set" has happened again. I just noticed it as I prepare to commit.

When I get the next copy of this repo I plan to change the option to "Make all files read-only" to require that I check out every file I need to edit before editing. Hopefully this will guarantee that edited files always show up in the Pending Change Set.

Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:45 pm

That's exactly what I was going for when I asked for the information. Those settings can make a difference.

Let me know if the behavior with the settings changed doesn't help.
Beth Kieler

HankB

Post by HankB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Ah...

I'm back and wondering why a 'refresh' is not identifying all changed files so I search on "Vault recursive refresh" and this is the first hit Google gives me. ;)

This time the 'read only to force checkout' strategy is not useful. I have to develop on one host and use Vault on another. I pull the entire project directory on the machine with Vault and copy it to my development machine via USB drive. When I'm ready to commit a change set I copy the entire directory back.

And navigate the directories in Vault, descending to all subdirectories (up to 7 levels deep) and hit refresh on each one before all edited files show up. There are some that show 'edited' in status and still are not included in the pending change set.

In this instance I created a branch and copied the files into the branch directory. I waited several minutes so I do not think that it was still processing. This is a fairly fast PC (I7-4770, 12GB RAM, Vault on an SSD.)

Vault version 9.1.0 (30584) on Windows 10.

best,
hank

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:04 pm

I think taking a closer look might help my understanding here. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler