Check hist SYSTEM.WEB.SERVICES.PROTOCOLS.SOAPEXCEPTION: 1209

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
joshp8a

Check hist SYSTEM.WEB.SERVICES.PROTOCOLS.SOAPEXCEPTION: 1209

Post by joshp8a » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:17 pm

Hello. I got an issue with a command line app using vault.exe. I got a bunch of files I am checking to see if they exist in the repository. This is the same code that is being used with previous Vault version (old 3.1.9 vault client) and even initial tests with the new 7.2.1 worked fine but did not involved a lot of files I guess.

When doing history -rowlimit 1 -beginversion on a [version filepath] on some cases I do hit the "proper" error when the file does not exist: "SYSTEM.EXCEPTION: NO OBJECT WAS FOUND AT THE REPOSITORY PATH:... " but in other cases I get "SYSTEM.WEB.SERVICES.PROTOCOLS.SOAPEXCEPTION: 1209 : FAILINVALIDOBJID" (full error below)

SYSTEM.WEB.SERVICES.PROTOCOLS.SOAPEXCEPTION: 1209 : FAILINVALIDOBJID AT VAULTCLIENTINTEGRATIONLIB.SERVEROPERATIONS.PROCESSCOMMANDHISTORYEX(STRING OBJECTPATH, BOOLEAN RECURSIVE, DATESORTOPTION DATESORT, CHAR FILTERUSERTYPE, STRING FILTEREDUSERS, CHAR FILTERACTIONTYPE, STRING FILTEREDACTIONS, STRING BEGINDATE, STRING ENDDATE, STRING BEGINLABEL, STRING ENDLABEL, INT64 BEGINVERSION, INT64 ENDVERSION, INT32 ROWLIMIT, STRING COMMENTFILTER) AT VAULTCMDLINECLIENT.VAULTCMDLINECLIENT.PROCESSCOMMAND(ARGS CURARG) AT VAULTCMDLINECLIENT.VAULTCMDLINECLIENT.MAIN(STRING[] ARGS)

First of all I am wondering can this potentially happen when files do exist in repository and the history -rowlimit 1 -beginversion but the process/command is being executed "n" number of times? And second, what object id is trying to reference? I found a post related to Vault as Continua here: https://www.finalbuilder.com/support/forums/aft/11162 but I am not sure if that is the case for a windows command line app.

Thanks in advanced,
JP

Beth

Re: Check hist SYSTEM.WEB.SERVICES.PROTOCOLS.SOAPEXCEPTION:

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Is the file you are checking shared, branched, or renamed? You might need to adjust your query for those. For example, if there is a branch, the history from before the branch actually resides in the original folder the branch was created from. Try getting from there.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

joshp8a

Post by joshp8a » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Beth wrote:Is the file you are checking shared, branched, or renamed? You might need to adjust your query for those. For example, if there is a branch, the history from before the branch actually resides in the original folder the branch was created from. Try getting from there.
Nope. No branching done whatsoever nor shared or renamed. We move trunk code each week to the environments.

I've noticed that the files that actually do not exist in vault are the ones returning the error correctly (file not found in path) since I am connecting to an repository migrated from the 3.1.9 version and those files in fact do not exist. The ones that do exist in vault with a remote version lower than what I am checking (in repository file A has latest version 3 and me checking if v5 for file A exists) is returning the SOAPException: 1209

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:16 am

Are you looking for a file or a file's particular version?

If it is just a file, what if you removed the '-beginversion X' parameters?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

joshp8a

Post by joshp8a » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:46 pm

jclausius wrote:Are you looking for a file or a file's particular version?
If it is just a file, what if you removed the '-beginversion X' parameters?
Sorry for the delay. I was waiting to see certain type of alert on my email.

I am ensuring a particular version of a file exists.
This is how I check if a version exists of a certain file. I do the checks file by file...

-rowlimit 1 -beginversion [version] [fileFullPath]

I guess I could remove the beginversion but I am interested on knowing if that specific version of file X exists. Not sure if there is another way to do that it's been a while since I coded this app but looking at the commands I don't think there is anything new since then.

When I first got this I thought it was because the actual files did not exists in the repository at all but I just hit the exact same error for a file existing in the repository but not the version for that file. Sometimes it works just fine returning the right output with the innerexception info and all but in other cases throws an this exception exception

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:45 pm

Sorry, I meant removing the -beginversion as a troubleshooting step, not a solution. I'm going to have you try a few different commands so we can see what the response would be. From those responses, I hopefully will get a better idea of the root cause.

Try a test without -beginversion and let me know your results. You can try it on something with small history if you prefer, or if you have Vault 8 you could just hit our Vault demo server for the test.

Vault demo server

login: guest4
pswd: guest4
server: vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com

Also, can you tell me how you are using this information? Why do you need to know if a particular version exists? If you have multiple versions of a file, why do you need to confirm if version 1 exists?
Beth Kieler

joshp8a

Post by joshp8a » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Beth wrote:Sorry, I meant removing the -beginversion as a troubleshooting step, not a solution. I'm going to have you try a few different commands so we can see what the response would be. From those responses, I hopefully will get a better idea of the root cause.

Try a test without -beginversion and let me know your results. You can try it on something with small history if you prefer, or if you have Vault 8 you could just hit our Vault demo server for the test.

Vault demo server

login: guest4
pswd: guest4
server: vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com

Also, can you tell me how you are using this information? Why do you need to know if a particular version exists? If you have multiple versions of a file, why do you need to confirm if version 1 exists?
I will try without the command. we use client 7.2.1 pro so not sure if I could be able to connect to your server but I will try.

We promote specific versions on files depending to what environment the code is going to move. So I am using these commands to ensure the specific version of a file exists since we run validations prior each release to ensure the right versions are being promoted, the version exists, if dependencies are met between changes. FYI... I am not checking if version 1 exists, I am checking if whatever version of the file is there. In other words if I want to promote version 5 of file X on a specific release I just run history -beginversion 5 "file X" to ensure the file exists. Maybe there is a better way to do know if a specific version of a exists? In the past (back on client 3.1.9) this worked fine.

I believe this error is being thrown for items/files that do not exist in the repository. In the past I was getting the right output from commandline, with the false when an operation fails (in this case version/file does not exist) and the innertext of the message with the reason. I just want to make sure if this is the case, that the exception is returned ONLY when items or versions of items that do not exist I can change my code.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:44 am

I ran a few tests and only get errors when the version doesn't exist.

C:\Program Files (x86)\SourceGear\VaultPro Client>vault HISTORY -host vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com -user guest4 -password guest4 -repository "Initial Repository" -beginversion 6 -rowlimit 1 $/Documents/Folder2/Test2e.txt"
<vault>
<error>
<exception>System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: 1209 : FailInvalidOb
jID
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.ProcessCommandHistoryEx(String
objectPath, Boolean recursive, DateSortOption dateSort, Char filterUserType, Str
ing filteredUsers, Char filterActionType, String filteredActions, String beginDa
te, String endDate, String beginLabel, String endLabel, Int64 beginVersion, Int6
4 endVersion, Int32 rowLimit, String commentFilter)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommand(Args curArg)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main(String[] args)</exception>
</error>
<result>
<success>False</success>
</result>
</vault>

I would expect a False in the <success> tag.

Would you get a different error previously?

I ran through all the versions and got a true on everything else.
Beth Kieler

joshp8a

Post by joshp8a » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Beth wrote:I ran a few tests and only get errors when the version doesn't exist.

C:\Program Files (x86)\SourceGear\VaultPro Client>vault HISTORY -host vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com -user guest4 -password guest4 -repository "Initial Repository" -beginversion 6 -rowlimit 1 $/Documents/Folder2/Test2e.txt"
<vault>
<error>
<exception>System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: 1209 : FailInvalidOb
jID
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations.ProcessCommandHistoryEx(String
objectPath, Boolean recursive, DateSortOption dateSort, Char filterUserType, Str
ing filteredUsers, Char filterActionType, String filteredActions, String beginDa
te, String endDate, String beginLabel, String endLabel, Int64 beginVersion, Int6
4 endVersion, Int32 rowLimit, String commentFilter)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.ProcessCommand(Args curArg)
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main(String[] args)</exception>
</error>
<result>
<success>False</success>
</result>
</vault>

I would expect a False in the <success> tag.

Would you get a different error previously?

I ran through all the versions and got a true on everything else.
The false tag is correct. In the past instead of false the result was a no. And also on 3.1.9 the node for error returned on the innertext something like [File_Full_Path_In_Repository] does not exist (i.e. $/repository/folder/folder/file.cs does not exist).

I've made the changes on my code to validate the exception. I just wanted to be sure that exception was return when the version did not exist or a file did not exist in the repository and nothing else.

Thank you!

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 am

That seems to be the case.
Beth Kieler