Advanced Obliterate - branches exist

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
BigBrett

Advanced Obliterate - branches exist

Post by BigBrett » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:36 am

I am trying to use the Advanced Obliterate Client to clean up a repository by obliterating deleted files that are no longer of any use to us.

I frequently hit a problem where I am informed that items are not able to be obliterated as branches exist and all branches must be obliterated before the selected item can be obliterated. The singularly unhelpful end to that message concludes "This item has branches at:".

Number 1, how do I determine where these branches are that need to removed first and, number 2, is there not a utility available that I can use on my repository in order to obliterate all deleted items (branched or not, I don't care) in order to reduce the overall disk size of the repository. I am not interested in any history for those items that have been deleted and I am not going to being exporting my repository items.

Cheers,
Brett

jclausius

Re: Advanced Obliterate - branches exist

Post by jclausius » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:29 am

Brett,

I believe the blank message indicates that those referenced branches do not currently exist in the tree... Meaning they've been deleted as well.

Based on the folder paths you are trying to obliterate, can you determine what a branch path might be? If so, can you also see the branched items in the obliterate list?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:25 pm

The branches could be from a number of places as the files I am trying to delete are all related and were shared amongst a number of projects.

Even if I get an indication of where branched files are, which is very seldom, if I look at that folder there is nothing to delete.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:50 am

Are you looking at the obliterate listing for other folders, or are you looking inside a folder's properties for deleted items?

When you look at all items in the obliterated list, can you see any paths which would be those items dependencies (sources of a branch)?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:56 am

Can you go to the Vault admin web page, expand Source Code Repositories, then expand the repository name. Click on the Obliterate link. Browse the tree in the obliterate link. Do you see any related branches listed on the right side for obliteration?

Don't do an obliterate. All we're trying to do right now is come up with the possible branch paths that need to be looked at.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:22 am

This is the kind of problem I am getting:

Selecting a deleted file to obliterate in the Admin web page Obliterate for a particular folder -
Unable to Obliterate item: $/CivilDesigner.root/CivilDesigner.trunk/Debug/ModelerGeometry_3.09src_9.tx

All branches .... This item has branches at:

$/_ODALibrary/Debug/ModelerGeometry_3.09src_9.tx

Looking at the listed branch folder shows absolutely no deleted files, either from web Admin page or the Vault GUI.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:45 am

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support