Cannot Deinstall SourceGear Vault

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
kmxsoft

Cannot Deinstall SourceGear Vault

Post by kmxsoft » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:02 pm

When I attempt to de-install Vault Server it quickly proceeds to the SQL Server screen where I am supposed to define the database logon. At that point the de-install becomes unresponsive - I can't select anything, I am unable to enter logon details, and can't close the de-install. The only way out of this situation is to force a reboot, I can't even kill the de-install.

So I've got software on my PC that I cannot get rid of.

Thoughts?

Beth

Re: Cannot Deinstall SourceGear Vault

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:35 pm

What might be happening is a window in the background somewhere.

Rather than logging into the database, don't provide any database information and click Cancel. Then it will offer to continue the uninstall without touching the database. After that you can delete the databases in SQL Server Management Studio.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Beth wrote:What might be happening is a window in the background somewhere.

Rather than logging into the database, don't provide any database information and click Cancel. Then it will offer to continue the uninstall without touching the database. After that you can delete the databases in SQL Server Management Studio.
Unfortunately at this point the whole dialog is locked - I can't even click the Cancel button. I am absolutely stuck with the dialog - the only way of clearing it is to nuke Windows.

I could probably terminate the offending process using SysInternals Process Explorer. Regrettably I can't identify the process from the list shown, leaving me with the nuke-only option to restore normal operation.

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:27 pm

I should add fot completeness that if there is a window then it isn't available to switch to using Alt-Tab. Clicking on the taskbar icon simply shows an option 'Close Dialog' - which doesn't work.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:46 am

What version of Vault Server are you trying to un-install? Also, what version of Windows are you running?

When you click the uninstall, the main un-installer runs, it pulls up a Vault Server Configuration dialog with the following log entries:

"Looking for IIS Version"
"Connecting to the SQL Server..."

At this point, a 2nd dialog is displayed, "Connect to SQL Server". It has a description of how Vault stores data in SQL Server, etc., and provides a login. This is the dialog that is hung up?

If you look at the running processes, you should see an msiexec.exe as well as a CustomActionsExe.exe process. These are part of the un-install routine. Are they going haywire in regards to CPU cycles?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Version 8. I installed this to give it a try and now I can't get rid of it (which is not a very encouraging sign to persuade me to continue being a user). This software is like a virus for the way it leaves me stranded in the de-install process.

It is the 2nd dialog which hangs. It shows me the SQL Server logon boxes - which I cannot select/enter data into because the dialog is frozen. Cancel is similarly frozen - meaning the only way I can get rid of this peskly de-installation screen is to force a reboot of the operating system. At this point it's as though the dialog has launched a child dialog which I cannot see.

I will have to take a look at the running processes you suggest when I have time to spare - as my PC takes several minutes to start up I'm not enthusiastic about launching this de-install process, which is going to force me to reboot.

No haywire - the dialog seems to be dormant. However it's windows message loop is not being processed because I cannot click on the dialog and gain focus. I can launch other programs no problem however the pesky dialog is in the foreground, so I can't use the PC for anything else.

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:45 am

A screenshot of the dialog which hangs is shown below. It is completely unresponsive to any user action.
SourceGear.jpg
I used SysInternals Process Explorer to kill CustomActionsExe.exe - that worked and this pesky dialog was removed (no reboot required). But I still have Vault Pro installed on the PC which I cannot remove.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:47 am

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? Then I can take a closer look at what's happening or walk you through a manual uninstall.
Beth Kieler

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:42 pm

Beth wrote:Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? Then I can take a closer look at what's happening or walk you through a manual uninstall.
Actually I have managed to remove Vault now, and have successfully re-installed.

I'm not entirely sure how I managed the de-install, but amongst the actions taken was re-installation of SQL Server. Something was obviously broken somewhere.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to hear you are working again.
Beth Kieler