Install Error 902

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
Michaelwh

Install Error 902

Post by Michaelwh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:00 pm

I recently wiped my computer and am attempting to install Vault again. I attached the databases from a backup then attempted to install Vault Pro. The install correctly noticed that I already had a database, then I was greeted with this error (from the install log):

Code: Select all

Putting sgvault database in SINGLE_USER mode.
getting the collation of the current source control database
the Vault database has the collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
Upgrading existing database user information with a new install.
	Login used is: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
The stored procedure to grant a Windows Login database access failed.  User does not have permission to perform this action.
The user, NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, could not be added as a SQL Server login.  Please verify the windows account exists on this machine. 

Note, on some database collations check the case of the user's name.
Vault Professional Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = 902
The user does in fact exist, and I've attempted to elevate its privileges for the overall DB to no avail. Any ideas on what the problem is? (I don't know how to check the case of the user's name for the database collations).

Beth

Re: Install Error 902

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:30 pm

The error "User does not have permission to perform this action" means you don't have enough permission. You need to make sure you are logging in with something that has SQL sysadmin rights. If you connect with SQL Server, you need to login with sa or something with the same level of rights. If you are using Windows authentication, you need to have logged into the machine as either a domain administrator or possibly a local administrator if your policies allow that.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Michaelwh

Post by Michaelwh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Sorry for being so late in getting back to you, I had to wipe my computer (again). However, my problem still persists.

I'm running as a local administrator (domain account, but not domain admin). The user has sysadmin rights on the sql server. I tried setting the user as dbowner for each of the SG databases, but that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

Any other ideas? I didn't mention it before, but I'm running SQL Server Express.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Is the SQL Server on the same machine or a different machine than where you are installing the Vault server?

Is there more than one instance of SQL Server on that machine?
Beth Kieler

Michaelwh

Post by Michaelwh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:19 pm

Beth wrote:Is the SQL Server on the same machine or a different machine than where you are installing the Vault server?

Is there more than one instance of SQL Server on that machine?
-Both SQL Server Express and Vault Pro Server are being installed on the same (local) machine
-Only one SQL server instance: SQLEXPRESS

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Do you have SQL Server Management Studio Express installed? If so, login to your SQL Express instance and try just making a test user and giving that test user rights. Does it allow you to do that?
Beth Kieler

Michaelwh

Post by Michaelwh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:05 pm

I'm able to create a SQL user and grant it sysadmin on the server as well as dbowner on the SG databases.

Another piece of (possibly) pertinent info: This is on windows 10.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Which version of Vault are you installing?

Which version of SQL Server are you using?

If you are using an older version of Vault, it might not work on your machine. Check out our Compatibility Chart: http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/documen ... chart.html.

If you can login using SQL authentication rather than Windows, and login with the 'sa' account, that might get you the rights you need.
Beth Kieler

Michaelwh

Post by Michaelwh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:00 pm

Using the sa account seems to have worked, thanks for the help.

I'm not sure why the permissions were different with that account than my windows login (which I used to enable the sa account).

For the record, Vault version was 8.0.1 and SQL server is SQL Server Express 2014.

Thanks again!

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:09 pm

The only other thing I can think of is possibly some group policy security measure. Either way, I'm happy you're working.
Beth Kieler

Michaelwh

Post by Michaelwh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:25 pm

I'm not sure whether or not this is related, but just in case it helps someone in the future:

To get the service to work I had to go to IIS (10.0) --> Server --> Application Pools --> Change all Identities from sa to ApplicationPoolIdentity

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:57 am

Thank you for the additional information. Did you manually change it to sa before or possibly enter sa in the IIS Process Model window?
Beth Kieler