Rollback? Branch? (Manually edit everything?)

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
HankB

Rollback? Branch? (Manually edit everything?)

Post by HankB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi folks, I started with a bit of a mess up this morning. I ran our startup code configuration tool which updates a bunch-O-source files. I wanted to isolate the config changes to one commit so I committed (to trunk). Unfortunately I was reminded that this is a test and should not have been committed to trunk. Now I need to figure out the best way to back out of this. Eventually I will want these changes in a branch which can be merged back intro the trunk if we decide we like them.

It seems to me that I want to rollback the entire change set. I've done some googling and studying the documents and I cannot figure out if this feature is implemented and if so, how to perform the action.

Ideally I could take the changeset and move it to a branch, but already having hosed things, I'm reluctant to give this a try (particularly since I cannot figure out how to back out of changes.) I'm under the impression that branching will leave the changes in trunk and make a copy in the branch that also has the changes.

At worst, I can edit the files to reverse the changes and go forward with that, but it seems like a bit of a tedious way to go. Maybe I can pull a copy of the source tree to another directory (for versions that precede this commit) and copy that over the 'current' copy and commit those changes.

There will be no further commits until I get this sorted.

Suggestions for the best strategy would be most welcome.

We are on Pro 8.0.1.

Thanks!

Beth

Re: Rollback? Branch? (Manually edit everything?)

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:11 pm

We've don't currently have a rollback of folders or whole changesets. Only individual files. If you changed only a few files, then you can run a Show History on each, right-click the version you want, and click Rollback. If there are a huge number of changes, then you will want to try this KB article to get your changes back: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=12594. This is provided you didn't perform a huge refactor of the entire project. If that's the case, let me know and we can walk through the details together.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

HankB

Post by HankB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:41 am

Hi Beth,
Thank you for your reply. Here is what I did.

1) Renamed the top folder in my working directory. It held 567.
2) Right clicked the folder (in Vault), and selected "Show History..." and checked the radio button for "View folder history by version."
3) Selected the version prior to the commit that should not have been performed.
4) Clicked the "Get Tree" button. This populated the working folder with 566.
5) Renamed the working folder <folder>.566
6) Performed a "Get Latest Version..."
7) Renamed the resulting folder as <folder>.567
8 ) Renamed <folder>.566 to <folder>
9) Refreshed Vault. It now shows all modified files as "Edited" but they did not show up in the "Pending Change Set" window.
10) Went through all project directories, manually selecting and checking out each file marked as "Edited." As they are checked out, they appear in the Pending Change Set window.
11) Commit the change set.

That's a bit tedious and potentially error prone but I think it worked. There was no refactoring (and no file additions or deletions) so this is conceptually simple.

It would really be nice to have this feature in Vault. I see it has been promised (or at least Folder Rollback) but continues to elude implementation.

best,
hank

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:40 am

Thanks for the update. I think that's a little different than the instructions I had, but that's ok. You had the right idea.

In regards to Working Folder Rollback, it has yet proven to be a more difficult task. Especially when shares, pins, moves, renames and deletes are added into the mix.

In any case, I'll add this post to information regarding the feature request. Thanks for your feedback.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support