duplicate directory names in a project?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
HankB

duplicate directory names in a project?

Post by HankB » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Given a structure (setup more or less by STM and IAR tools)

proj/Inc
proj/Src

I'd like to add a bunch of files related to say blah. I added directories
proj/Inc/blah
proj/Src/blah

Vault Pro 9 is unable to commit files in these directories because the 'blah' part of the path name is duplicated between both directory paths. I'm not confused. IAR is not confused. Why must Vault be confused?

This really is an unnecessary and unwelcome restriction on organizing my project. I suspect that this results from a decision some time in the distant past that "no part of any path may use the same name" and IMO it was a bad decision. I suppose it is so deeply embedded in how Vault stores and indexes information that it is not possible to change, but put my vote in for a fix anyway.

Thanks!

Beth

Re: duplicate directory names in a project?

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Take a look in your pending change set window. In Vault it's usually at the bottom of the window, and in VS you may have to reach it through the View menu if it's not already open. How many entries for adding the 'blah' folder do you have? If you have multiple entries there, then select all the Adds pending and undo them. Then try adding one folder and then the other folder. Don't perform any other actions except those Adds. You'll be able to do other actions after the items are added.

Do the adds give you an error then?

Vault allows paths like your example, and will only complain if you try adding the same folder to the exact same location twice.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

HankB

Post by HankB » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Beth,
Thanks for the tip. I already reorganized my directory to avoid duplicates so I cannot try your suggestion at the moment. I did check at the time to make sure I had not added one of the directories twice and that was not the case. I did not think to try to add/commit them one at a time.

thanks,
hank

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:03 pm

hank,

As mentioned, Vault allows the directory names you mentioned just as long as they are not both owned by the same parent. So the directory 'blah' can exist at any level just as long as each instance of said directory is owned by different folders.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear