Keep getting error "Object reference not set"

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
PeterAslund

Keep getting error "Object reference not set"

Post by PeterAslund » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:06 am

I suddenly got an blue-screen yesterday, might have happened due to insufficient free memory. This I got exactly as I committed a change to Vault. The changes were not commited

Issue:
Now after the reboot, I can't seem to check-in anymore. I keep getting the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

When:
[*] Click on the Commit button for a file/files from within Vault Professional
[*] Click OK button in Check In dialog in VS

It doesn't seem to matter if the file was checked out before or after the blue-screen.

Nothing gets written to the Vault Professional Messages tab. Are there any logs that I/you can look in?

PeterAslund

Re: Keep getting error "Object reference not set"

Post by PeterAslund » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:51 am

I can find the exception in the client log file. (%Temp%\VaultGUIclient.txt)

2016-02-04 13:50:11 <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:4] [System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.CacheMember_CommitDialogBugInfo.get_BugList()
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ShowCheckInCommitWithWorkItemsDialog(TitleStyleType titleStyle, ChangeSetItemColl itemsToPresent, Int32[] indexesToCheck, List`1 listWorkItems, Boolean& bKeepCheckedOut, Boolean& bRemoveLocalCopy, String& strChangeSetComment, String& strRawComment, Int32[]& checkedIndexes, Int32[]& bugIDs, String& strBugList, List`1& vaultProItems, Boolean& bMarkBugFixed, Boolean& bAddBugComment, WorkItemModifications& workItemMods)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.Commit_Real(ChangeSetViewItem[] selection, List`1& workItems)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.CommitChangeSetViewWithWorkItems(FormCheckInCommitDlgType dlgType, GUIClientThreadCommand_CommitWithWorkItems& cmdParam)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)] Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.CacheMember_CommitDialogBugInfo.get_BugList()
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ShowCheckInCommitWithWorkItemsDialog(TitleStyleType titleStyle, ChangeSetItemColl itemsToPresent, Int32[] indexesToCheck, List`1 listWorkItems, Boolean& bKeepCheckedOut, Boolean& bRemoveLocalCopy, String& strChangeSetComment, String& strRawComment, Int32[]& checkedIndexes, Int32[]& bugIDs, String& strBugList, List`1& vaultProItems, Boolean& bMarkBugFixed, Boolean& bAddBugComment, WorkItemModifications& workItemMods)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.Commit_Real(ChangeSetViewItem[] selection, List`1& workItems)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.CommitChangeSetViewWithWorkItems(FormCheckInCommitDlgType dlgType, GUIClientThreadCommand_CommitWithWorkItems& cmdParam)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)

Stack Trace:
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ShowCommandException(Exception e, IWin32Window dialogOwner)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.Start()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:46 am

Close Vault then go to your Vault cache at %USERPROFILE%\\AppData\Local\Sourcegear\Vault_1\Client\{repository-guid}\{vaultuser}\ and delete the cache member CacheMember_CommitDialogBugInfo. If you don't know which GUID to check, then you can get a list of GUIDs and repository names with this SQL query:

Code: Select all

Select * from sgvault.dbo.tblrepositories
If deleting just the one cache member doesn't help you can rename your client side cache using the instructions here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=11513.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

PeterAslund

Post by PeterAslund » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:42 am

Removing the CacheMember fixed the problem
Thank you!

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:18 am

Thank you for the update.
Beth Kieler