Unable to log into Vault Server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
PhilBMorris

Unable to log into Vault Server

Post by PhilBMorris » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:39 pm

In the last day or so whenever I attempt to log onto the Vault Server using IIS on the server itself I receive the 'Authentication Required' dialog asking for a user name and password. the dialog also indicates 'Your connection to this site is not private' which I do not recall seeing before. No matter what login I try I cannot log in. My client setup has not changed; when I attempt to log in using the client on a workstation, the error

"Unable to connect to http://192.168.10.2:8080/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied."

is displayed. Yet there is a website at that URL/port; I can see it in IIS on the server.
I have repaired the Vault Server from the .msi file to no avail. Using SMSS I can view logins in the dbo.users table in the sgmaster database table, but the passwords stored there are encrypted.

Suggestions please?

Beth

Re: Unable to log into Vault Server

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:04 am

using IIS on the server itself
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean logging into the web client with a browser?

Do you have Windows authentication turned on for the website? If so, turn that off.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

PhilBMorris

Post by PhilBMorris » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:23 am

Hi there

Yes I did mean attempting to log into the web client with a browser. Windows authentication was never turned on. But I solved the problem
- did a total uninstall of the Vault server (but kept the database info)
- set up a new website on the server specifically for Vault, and verified that it started okay.
- reinstalled Vault Server, telling it to reconnect to the existing database.

I suspect problems occurred because of security issues associated with the 'default website' or maybe other things (Machine Key access?) but frankly, it was much easier to simply have the Vault installation program take care of all those details using a new website!!

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear you are working again.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support