Unable to login to Vault Administrator

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
louismccut

Unable to login to Vault Administrator

Post by louismccut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:29 pm

I upgraded to Vault Professional 9.1.0.30584 from Vault Standard 7.2.1.265. When I try to login to the administrative website after login, I get "Login Failed: The username or password supplied is invalid". I reinstalled but got the same message.

I saved the database from 7.2.1.265, and there were no messages during the installation process other than everything and upgraded and installed correctly.

Beth

Re: Unable to login to Vault Administrator

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:42 pm

You used the login name of 'admin' and the password you had to type into a window twice during the upgrade?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

louismccut

Post by louismccut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Yes I did.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:29 pm

When you reinstalled, did you uninstall first and keep the database?

Can you try setting a different password? Check that you don't have caps lock on or anything like that.

The error you posted can't be anything but the wrong password.
Beth Kieler

louismccut

Post by louismccut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:23 pm

I uninstalled, saving the database, and then installed 9.1. I feel something else is going on with the user name / password validation other than my supposed inability to type a password correctly 3 times in a row, but I'll do another install and even use a simple different password.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:29 pm

Did anything happen with the sgmaster database? Check on it in SQL Server Management Studio. You should have more than just admin in sgmaster.dbo.users.

The errors will probably be the same, but you can check the Vault Server Log for any additional errors.
Beth Kieler

louismccut

Post by louismccut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:50 pm

I did a reinstall, was very careful about the password, and still get the error when it goes to the web page to do the initial login necessary to enter license keys.

This is probably significant but I'm not sure what to do about it:
I went into SSMS and the only sgmaster database showing is "sgmaster (Single User)", and I cannot access that database (The database sgmaster is not accessible). I try to open the properties for it and get a message cannot show requested dialog because "Database 'sgmaster' is already open and can only have one user at a time".

I've had Vault for several years and have done multiple upgrades so I don't know if this is some sort of remnant of one of those versions perhaps?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Sgmaster is a required database for Vault.

Right-click the database and select Properties. Click Options and scroll to the bottom. Set it to Multiuser.

If it's been single user this entire time, I"m not sure if it is getting the password. Try logging in, and if that doesn't work, try one more reinstall, but check that no database is in single-user mode after the uninstall or reinstall.
Beth Kieler

louismccut

Post by louismccut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:26 pm

Making some progress. I couldn't even get into Sgmaster's properties because of the single-user mode. But I set it via an SQL command run against Master.

I still can't get it to accept my login even after I did another reinstall.

Perhaps I'll do an uninstall, restore the database from a backup I made (from Vault 7.x) just before doing all this, make sure the sgmaster isn't in single user mode and try the install again if you think that might work.

louismccut

Post by louismccut » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:04 pm

I believe I have solved it as follows:

I uninstalled Vault Administrator and then restored the 4 vault databases (sgmaster, sgnotify, sgvault, and sgfaultindex) from the Vault 7.x backup I did before I started all of this process.

Two of the databases (sgmaster and sgvault) were showing in single user mode. I changed those to multi-user mode.

I then did the install of Vault 9.1 which converted the databases and let me login as admin.

From a quick review of Vault client installed on the server, it appears that all of my various solutions & projects are showing in Vault. Next up, which I'll wait until tomorrow to try, is to install the new client on my PC and make sure that I'm able to access the files through Visual Studio 2013 and the SQL projects through SSMS.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:26 am

Yes, you did the right thing. It's possible that with the database being in single-user mode that it could upgrade it correctly, and wasn't trying to upgrade on a reinstall.
Beth Kieler