How to handle no-longer-used files/folders

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
elaw

How to handle no-longer-used files/folders

Post by elaw » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:02 am

This isn't exactly a "problem" but more of a technique / best practice question.

What's the best way to deal with files or folders that at one time were part of a project but are no longer used?

Example: I create a file called "MyPage.aspx" and add it to source control. Over time I make various changes to the file and check the file into the vault. Then something changes and no I longer use that file - I want to remove it from the working folder but keep a record of its existence in source control in case I ever want to go back and look at it.

I know one obvious answer is to just remove the local file and do nothing else, but that has side effects. For one thing, Vault shows the file as "missing" which implies a problem where none exists. Also (and ask me how I know this), if you do "get latest version" on the folder or one of its parents, you suddenly end up with a bunch of old files in your working folder... :?

Beth

Re: How to handle no-longer-used files/folders

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:11 am

Missing only indicates the file isn't on disk.

Some options you have is you can delete the file, and it will still be in Vault. The way to view information on it would be to look at the history of the parent folder, or you can undelete it at any time. Or you can create a folder just to hold old files and use the move action on the file to put it in that folder. With the second option, the file would always be immediately available and have it's history.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

elaw

Post by elaw » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:32 am

Beth,

Thanks!

The "create a folder to hold old files and move them there" technique seems to work well. I was concerned about SG requiring a working folder for files I really don't ever want to access any more, but it seems quite happy to have no working folder set.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:21 am

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support