Email Notification stops working URGENT!

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
tschneider

Email Notification stops working URGENT!

Post by tschneider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:51 am

Hello,

since a few days the Email Notification does not work anymore on VAULT x64 ServerService.
We have try to repair the installation but with no luck.
Attached you will find our Logfiles.

Please help it is URGENT!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Re: Email Notification stops working URGENT!

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:49 am

I noticed different calls to the notify service between the server log and the pro log. One uses a local address of 127.0.0.1 where the other one uses a FWDN. For troubleshooting, look in your Vault Pro log and find the FQDN that ends in .local.

Go to the Vault admin web page and click on the plugins link on the left. In the list of plugins you want something like the following

source control Vault notify URL True
source control Vault index URL True
source control Vault shadow URL True
work item tracking Vault notify URL True

The one for the work item tracking appears to be incorrect. It has a URL that looks like
http://<your Vault server>/VaultService/VaultNotifyService/VaultNotifyService.asmx. The URL should look like http://<your Vault server>/VaultNotifyService/VaultNotifyService.asmx. I tested this against the public IP I saw in your log files and that works. The ones set to False can be deleted.

Once the change is made, let's try a test using the Vault application notifications. In Vault go to Tools - Options - Notifications and turn on the application notifications, and set the refresh rate to 1 minute. Then set something to watch under either the work item tracking and source control if you don't have any set yet. Those are in the same area under Tools - Options - Notifications - source code and Tools - Options - Notifications - work items. Then click ok.

After you have changed the settings, have users perform some changes to what you are watching in source control and work item tracking. At the bottom of your Vault window, click the Notifications link and about a minute after someone performs actions to what you are watching, the changes should show up there. Are the changes showing up now?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tschneider

Post by tschneider » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:32 am

Hello Beth,

No, it doesn't work
The vaultnotifyservice.txt shows errors (see attachment)

best
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:42 am

In a browser window, try the URL for the service that is entered into the plugins, or click the magnifying glass to test. The URL might need to be changed further. Does it work??
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:26 am

Which version of Vault are you running? What we see in the logs shows 9, but then it has calls that belong to an older version.

Was there an upgrade or a partial upgrade?

I think the fastest way to get this running will be to:
  • Make sure you have recent database backups first
  • Uninstall Vault and choose the option to keep the database
  • Run a command prompt as administrator
  • Launch the installer from the command prompt.
Beth Kieler

tschneider

Post by tschneider » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:57 am

Hello Beth,

i followed our instruction for reinstall but with no luck.
what else can i proove?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:15 am

In a browser window, try the URL for the service that is entered into the plugins, or click the magnifying glass to test. The URL might need to be changed further. Does it work??

Let's look at the logs again. The ones we need to see are the sgvault.log and the vaultnotifyservice.txt.
Beth Kieler

tschneider

Post by tschneider » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:04 am

Hello Beth,

calling the URL works fine( i have tested before).
Here are the logfiles

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:22 am

Thomas,

When you ran the installation, did you run it under an account with full administrative rights to SQL Server?

The log message, "Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'itemtype', table 'sgnotify.dbo.eventdetails';" indicates there is a column 'itemtype' in the eventdetails table. However, that column hasn't existed in the table since Vault 6.x. One theory is the upgrade process did not run with enough privileges to change the sgnotify database.

Can you run the following on your Vault Server's SQL Server to check the notification server's database:

SELECT [schemaversion] FROM [sgnotify].[dbo].[schemaversion];
GO
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

tschneider

Post by tschneider » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:51 am

Hello,

The notification stops working for no apperant reason and not while doing an upgrade setup.

BTW:
your SQL query seems to be wrong or incomplete:
SELECT FROM [schemaversion] FROM [sgnotify].[dbo].[schemaversion];
GO

does not work, 'Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'FROM'.
I run it then with 'SELECT * FROM [sgnotify].[dbo].[schemaversion];' and one record returned as follows:

best

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:19 am

One thing we could try is creating a new sgnotify database and then copy over only the minimum number of data needed to run.

The steps:

1) Backup all of your Vault databases.
2) Uninstall Vault, but choose the option to keep the database.
3) Rename the sgnotify database to something like old_sgnotify.
4) Install Vault and allow it to pick up and reuse the databases. It should at this point create a new sgnotify database.
5) There are 3 tables of settings that you'll copy over from the old_sgnotify to the new one.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO [sgnotify].[dbo].[generalcriteria] ([userid], [enableemail], [enabledigest], [html], [enableapp], [suppressmine])
SELECT [userid], [enableemail], [enabledigest], [html], [enableapp], [suppressmine] FROM [old_sgnotify].[dbo].[generalcriteria];
GO

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [sgnotify].[dbo].[scceventcriteria] ON
GO
INSERT INTO [sgnotify].[dbo].[scceventcriteria] ([criteriaid], [userid], [eventmask], [endtxevents])
SELECT [criteriaid], [userid], [eventmask], [endtxevents] FROM [old_sgnotify].[dbo].[scceventcriteria];
GO
SET IDENTITY_INSERT [sgnotify].[dbo].[scceventcriteria] OFF
GO

SET IDENTITY_INSERT [sgnotify].[dbo].[witeventcriteria] ON
GO
INSERT INTO [sgnotify].[dbo].[witeventcriteria] ([criteriaid], [userid], [eventmask])
SELECT [criteriaid], [userid], [eventmask] FROM [old_sgnotify].[dbo].[witeventcriteria];
GO
SET IDENTITY_INSERT [sgnotify].[dbo].[witeventcriteria] OFF
GO
Then test.
Beth Kieler

tschneider

Post by tschneider » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:10 am

Hello Beth,

i have all the things done but still get no notification email from WorkItem.
Attached are the logfiles.
What else can i check. :cry:

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:07 am

Since your maintenance is current, you can contact me directly. I think we need to take a closer look. The errors claim that the client is trying to enter Nulls into the database, which isn't right. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?

Update: email received
HS: 247061
Beth Kieler