Breaking shares and rolling back

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
seamusbleu

Breaking shares and rolling back

Post by seamusbleu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:40 am

I would like suggestions on the approach I should take to break shares on files in a particular project so I can rollback changes on those files, but only in that project. Say file F is at version 6 in project P, but in other projects it has progressed to version 8. I want to break the share in P, and then rollback to version 6 to avoid compatibility issues local to project P.

I did a get to latest version of F in P, did a branch on F in P, did a show history, selected version 6's checkin, right-clicked and selected rollback. That gave me the following error messages:
[...time...] Item $/...path/filename... caused the transaction to fail: Invalid object version specified.
[...time...] Transaction failed

How do I get this to work?

Beth

Re: Breaking shares and rolling back

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:27 am

The best way to do this would be to:

1) Break the share

2) View a history of the item.

3) Select the historical item and branch that.

If it's on a folder instead of a single file, then in step 2 you will select the option View Folder History by Version.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

seamusbleu

Post by seamusbleu » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:04 pm

I don't follow. If you try to branch it (to the same location) it just gives you an error. Branching it to a different location doesn't make any sense either.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:17 pm

When you perform the branch, it should have you select the location where you want to branch to be.

Are you wanting them in the same location?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

seamusbleu

Post by seamusbleu » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:04 am

Beth wrote:When you perform the branch, it should have you select the location where you want to branch to be.
Are you wanting them in the same location?
Yes. Going back to the desired behavior, I want to isolate the files in this project from updates that have happened in other projects that currently share files with this project. I would think that I could to a branch to break the share, then do a rollback to the to set the current version to the last version used (discarding changes made in the other projects that formerly shared the file).

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:44 am

seamusbleu wrote:I want to isolate the files in this project from updates that have happened in other projects that currently share files with this project.
Yes. That is how it works. A folder branch is an isolated structure. Nothing will be shared with items outside of that newly created branch path, but shared items 'within' the branch path will still retain their share properties.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear