VSSImport

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
CarlSmith

VSSImport

Post by CarlSmith » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:59 am

We are finally being forced off of VSS. I am trying to use the VSSImport tool to import the database, but I am getting an unhandled exception error. I looked through the knowledgebase and only found 1 article on this error. It stated the user was called by one of your techs and that the solution was to ignore it and trudge on. I tried that, unfortunately VSSimport is siting here stating it is examining the project, yet it is getting no CPU time. I am also able to move around in the GUI and cancel it without any delays in response. So the only thing I can surmise is that it is doing nothing but sitting there.

I am using VSS 6.0c and have also just applied the hotfix, as stated in another article. Analyze also is clean.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am doing the full import, because I do not want the VSS database laying around.

Beth

Re: VSSImport

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 am

The places that will have useful errors are the Vault Server Log and the VSS Import log file. The VSS Import Log file will likely be in the same folder as the VSS Import Tool. If it didn't land there, then it will be in your users temp directory at C:\Users\<user name>\appdata\local\temp. Check those logs for an error or post them.

As an FYI ll the related VSS Import KB articles can be found here:
Tips for a Successful VSS Import
Options for a VSS Import
Importing a solution or project that uses IDE Integration
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

CarlSmith

Post by CarlSmith » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks! I found the issue. In an attempt to make the source_safe database minic server directory structures, some of the projects were named c$ and d$, so that the programmer could just modify part of the string when getting code, and have it go to the proper location on the server.

I removed the $ from the one listed in the log and it got past it to the next one. So I will go in and fix all these misnamed projects.

Thanks again!

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks for the update.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support