Error when using view history by item from Vault Client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
bblsystems

Error when using view history by item from Vault Client

Post by bblsystems » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:00 am

Using Vault 10.0.2 client and Version 10.0.2.30936 server

Right click on $ root node of a source tree and choose Show History, choose view folder history by item. Get this error.

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultServiceBase.VaultLogManager.LogException(Exception e)
at VaultServiceSQL.VaultSqlSCC.QueryHistory(VaultSqlConn conn, Int32 nUserID, Int32 nRowLimit, Int64 nTxID, VaultHistoryQueryRequest hqr, SqlDataReader& dr)
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPI.BeginHistoryQuery(Int32 nUserID, Int32 nRowLimit, VaultHistoryQueryRequest reqHQ, Int32& nRowsRetrieved, VaultIntHistoryQuery& vihq)
at VaultService.VaultService.BeginHistoryQuery(VaultHistoryQueryRequest reqHQ, Int32 nRowLimit, Int32& nRowsRetrieved, String& strQryToken)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Followed by
The history session could not be found.

If I view folder history by version, I get no error and the history is displayed.

Tonya

Re: Error when using view history by item from Vault Client

Post by Tonya » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:58 am

We are going to need to get additional information from you. Can you please us your Vault Server log? The Vault Server log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log on the server machine.

You can email it to support@sourcegear.com and reference this forum post.

Thanks,

Tonya

bblsystems

Post by bblsystems » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

Hi, I took a look at the log file before I sent it, and saw a timeout error

I took a look at the server and it was under a heavy load due to other programs. I shut down the other applications and retried the view history and it worked.

It appears that the SQL query was taking too long while the server was working on other applications. I'll email you the log so you can review it if you like, but I think this is the solution.

----3/15/2019 9:59:33 AM xxxxxxxxxxx System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Hello again,

Thank you for the update. Glad to hear the issue has been resolved.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Tonya

GrantWilson

Post by GrantWilson » Fri May 24, 2019 5:56 am

Other programs and applications may usually cause such an issue. After I close all the programs running, a timeout error doesn't occur anymore. I didn't check which apps exactly caused the issue though. I had 3-5 apps running simultaneously, but mostly, they were running in background.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri May 24, 2019 10:51 am

Thank you for providing us with more input.

Tonya