VS2019 Vault Pro extension

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
BigBrett

VS2019 Vault Pro extension

Post by BigBrett » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:10 am

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019 Version 16.1.3
SourceGear Vault Professional Visual Studio Extension 10.0.3.30967
SourceGear Vault Professional Work Item Extension 10.0.3.30967

I had installed the original 10.0.3.30966 version of the extension and noticed that the Vault Pro Pending Changes window and the Vault Pro Work Item Tracking windows did not display anything (completely blank other than title bar).

I updated to 10.0.3.30967 and no change.

The Pending Changes window will show whatever the last window in the same dock group was showing. If the docked group is dragged over the IDE window, whatever is open in the IDE will show in the Pending Changes window.

jclausius

Re: VS2019 Vault Pro extension

Post by jclausius » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:59 am

Were you using an earlier version of Visual Studio 2019? If so, did that show the same problem?

Did this redraw / transparency problem just start happening (ie. it was working fine up until yesterday, and then after some event, like a VS update, it starting occurring?)

If you undock the pane and keep them "free-standing" are they still transparent?

Do you have a different computer running VS 2019? If so, is it showing the same problem?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:03 am

Same display on previous and current version of VS2019. Transparent docked and undocked. Mine is currently the only installation of 2019 as evaluating for company use.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 am

Can you try a test? (Note, my version currently is VS 2019 16.1.1, and I'm assuming you have C# / .NET available as one of your supported project types.)

Start VS 2019, and click the "Continue without code" link. Once VS 2019 starts, verify Tools -> Options: Source Control reads "SourceGear Vault Professional Visual Studio Extension".

Next, from the menu File -> Vault Professional Source Control -> Open from Vault Pro. Log in using guest3/guest3 (user and password) to vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com. Choose the Initial Repository, and then on the left of the "Open from Vault Pro" select the $/jeff test/BrigBrettExample path, and on the right select "BigBrettExample.sln". Then click OK. Note, you may be prompted to provide a working folder.

It should download all the files, and then open the project within Visual Studio. If you look at the "Output" pane (and switch the "Show output from" combo to Vault Pro if necessary, it should show the files were downloaded. If the "Vault Pro Pending Changes" pane is not showing, you can view it from View -> Vault Pro Pending Changes.

Next Check Out and edit Program.cs, does it show up in the pending changes or is your pending changes still transparent?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Still transparent after doing what you asked. The Pending Changes pane is actually showing the output of Vault Pro as that was the previous active pane, so some redraw is not happening.

Apologies for the time gap in answers, your initial message came through as I was leaving for the day.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 am

Hmmm... there's no special painting or owner drawn code in those panes. We haven't encountered that behavior on anything within VS 2019.

The Vault Extension for VS 2019 is compiled against .NET 4.5.1 Framework, and not .NET Core. Is .NET Framework 4.5.1 or later installed on your system? Also, I tested against Windows 10 Pro - 1803 build 17134.829. What version/build of Windows are you using?

Does your system also have VS 2017 installed? If so, does it have the Vault Extension and what version of the Vault Extension is installed? Can you try 10.0.3.30967 on VS 2017?

I'm not certain this tells us anything, but maybe narrows it down to VS 2019 or an OS issue. Later, I'll try to see if VS 2019 16.1.3 is possibly the problem.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rheldt

Post by rheldt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:54 am

Hey guys... I've run into this problem as well, except with Vault Standard. Seems to be both Pending Changes and the Vault Notifications windows. They're blank/transparent.
https://i.imgur.com/5gsMzPN.png

Running VS2019 16.1.3, Vault 10.0.2.936, Windows 1903

This is a new machine and I know the 2017/2019 client worked find under VS2019, but there may have been slightly older versions of everything on that machine. For example, that machine was running 1809.

I did have the .NET 4.5.1 run time installed. I tried installing the .NET 4.5.1 dev pack (which wasn't installed) but that didn't change anything.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:42 am

After upgrading to VS 2019 16.1.3, and opening the BigBrettExample project to check out a file, I still cannot recreate any issues. (See attachment below) I don't think it matters, as I tried in in "Dark" color theme, but my theme is "Blue". Regardless, the Pending Change Set shows the check out, and I can check back in as well.

@rheldt, are you using Vault Professional? Can you try the BigBrettExample on vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com? Are the other Vault dialogs transparent? For example, Check In from Solution Explorer or Invoking History?

_
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rheldt

Post by rheldt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 am

@jclausius Thanks for your help. We're using Vault Standard, not Professional. I changed my theme to 'Blue' and restarted VS2019. Didn't change anything.

The only thing screens that appears to be affected is the Vault Pending Changes and Vault Notifications under the View menu. Vault itself and other Vault UIs are working. For example, I can right click on the solution and click 'Check In' (it's a little bit of a of a pain though since it's modal).

Anyway, right clicking on files and selecting 'Show History' works, as does 'Show Differences'. Additionally, stuff under File > Vault Source Control works. I just happen to use that Pending Changes UI more than anything and that's not behaving.

Coincidentally, several other projects that are using the _other_ Vault interface (not the plugin) -- the one that says "Updating NNNN files(s) to process..." when you open it -- the Pending Checkins screen works there just fine.

Hopefully that helps somewhat.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:02 pm

OK. I created a copy of BigBrettExample, this time bound to Vault Standard (vaultdemo.sourcegear.com). It is found in pretty much the same repository path $/jeff test/BigBrettExample.

@rheldt, can you give that a try, and see if there's any change?

If you invoke File -> Vault Source Control -> Refresh Source Control Status does that change anything regarding the painting event / transparency?
rheldt wrote:@jclausius Thanks for your help. We're using Vault Standard, not Professional. I changed my theme to 'Blue' and restarted VS2019. Didn't change anything.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 pm

One other thing to check that may provide some more detailed information. Can you check for a VaultVsipClient-VS-16.0.txt file in your %TEMP% directory.

If one is there, and it has a timestamp that coincides to your last use of Visual Studio 2019, can you please compress / attach and email it to support AT sourcegear DOT com (with a reference to this forum thread)? Maybe there's something in the log file that may provide some additional data.

Thx
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

rheldt

Post by rheldt » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:08 pm

@jclausius Thanks for all your assistance thus far. Unfortunately, opening the BigBrettExample and updating source control status didn't appear to fix things. I tried a similar maneuver using a local project and didn't have any better luck.

https://i.imgur.com/wvsnEsI.png

I found the VaultVsipClient log file you mentioned and am sending it to support now. Thanks again.
jclausius wrote:One other thing to check that may provide some more detailed information. Can you check for a VaultVsipClient-VS-16.0.txt file in your %TEMP% directory.

If one is there, and it has a timestamp that coincides to your last use of Visual Studio 2019, can you please compress / attach and email it to support AT sourcegear DOT com (with a reference to this forum thread)? Maybe there's something in the log file that may provide some additional data.

Thx

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm

I have the following installed:

.NET Core 1.0.1
.NET Framework 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1

My computer OS is:

64 bit Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.175

I have emailed the log file as requested.

ThomasH

Post by ThomasH » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:40 am

Same for me, Microsoft Visual Studio 2019.16.1.2, SourceGear Vault Standard Visual Studio Extension 10.0.3.967. We have 25 machines, not Hardware identical, but Studio and Client same. On some machines it works, most not. No idea. Extension deinstalled, reinstalled. No change.

ThomasH

Post by ThomasH » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 am

We solved it for our machines: Disabling "Optimize Rendering for screens with different pixel densities (requires restart") helped. Although in dark mode, the Extension window is painted with white background color, but it works.