CC.Net plugin

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
BigBrett

CC.Net plugin

Post by BigBrett » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:08 am

We use the Pro version of the CC.Net plugin to get changed source for our build server.

Could you please explain the use of the "autoGetSource" parameter. We have the parameter set true in order to "automatically retrieve the latest version of the source" but would like to know the implication of setting this false.

jclausius

Re: CC.Net plugin

Post by jclausius » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:38 am

When it comes to the "sourcecontrol" and "sourceControlProvider" xml elements / Nant Tasks, SourceGear didn't write those parts of the components, those are authored and compiled in by someone in the CC.NET community, so it is difficult to say what impact that has.

According to CC.NET documentation ( https://ccnet.github.io/CruiseControl.N ... Vault.html ) autoGetSource "specifies if CCNet should automatically retrieve the latest version of the source from the repository." So when autoGetSource is false, it won't get the latest version of the folder in the repository, but what folder version it would get is unknown to me. I don't know if it is available anywhere, but since the Vault plugin was written by the CC.NET community, perhaps if you get a peek at the CC.NET source it may provide us with more information.

FWIW, on all of our in-house CC.NET projects using Vault that are both CI and non-CI (forced) builds, we have autoGetSource set to true for the source control provider blocks.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks, I was checking the readme for the plugin and just assumed this was part of the SG plugin configuration. I ill look further into CC.Net for a possible explanation.

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:36 am

I have had a look into the CC.Net source and, if autoGetSource is set false, no updated source code will be retrieved from source control when a build is triggered.

I assume this is done if you want to trigger a build when modifications have been made, but you already have the updated source code with which you want to build, such as when using a Shadow Folder as the build source.

In any event, leave it set to true unless you have a very different build system.

Regards,
Brett

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:54 am

Ahh... That would make sense as I was really trying to figure out why you wouldn't want to get the version found in the repository.

Thank for following up!
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear