Incorrect Passwords in generated Web configs

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
TaylinAnderson

Incorrect Passwords in generated Web configs

Post by TaylinAnderson » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Hello, I had to track down an issue today with a fresh install of Vault Pro Server 10.

It appears that some of the web configs did not have their passwords set up correctly due to a special character in the password.

The password in question used a '>' character which should have been converted to '&gt' in the web config itself. However upon opening the config files the character had been updated to be '&gt' which caused certain parts of the UI to fail to load.

I had to manually go into the web configs for VaultIndexService and VaultNotifyService and update them with the correct password.

Oddly, the rest of the web configs had their passwords converted correctly and just the two mentioned above had problems.

Not sure if this is a known issue, but I couldn't find anything so I am making this post.

Tonya

Re: Incorrect Passwords in generated Web configs

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:05 am

Hello,

Thank you for posting your issue along with a resolution. If you don't mind, we have a couple of questions for you in case there's a bug we need to address.

1) Your passwords in your web.config files should have been encrypted. Can you please confirm this is true?

2) What passwords did you update? What xml elements with the key were updated?

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

TaylinAnderson

Post by TaylinAnderson » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:13 pm

The tag I found this under was <Identity>

<identity impersonate="true" userName="myusername" password="mypassword" />

The password was not encrypted in this tag for any of the config files.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks for the additional details. We have this logged (#20105) and will be taking a look at it for our next release.

Tonya