Application notification messages error

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
BigBrett

Application notification messages error

Post by BigBrett » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:12 am

Since updating to the 10.1 version of Vault Pro, I have been receiving the occasional message that there was an error retrieving application notification messages. The call stack is as follows:

Code: Select all

2020/06/19 08:25:28 <generic>: [Vault Message][Warning] An error occurred retrieving application notification messages from http://web.address/VaultNotifyService/VaultNotifyService.asmx -  Failure	
   at SourceGearLLC.VaultVsipClient.VaultVsipClient.HandleEvent(MessageEvent e)
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIEventEngine.FireEventPrivate(Object o, BaseEvent e)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIEventEngine.fireEvent(BaseEvent e)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.EmitMessage(ProgressMessage message)
   at VaultClientPresentationLib.NotificationsView.RefreshNotificationItemsThreadProc(Object o)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
   at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

jclausius

Re: Application notification messages error

Post by jclausius » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:44 am

If you use the GUI client, do you receive the same error?

Using a browser on this same machine, if you (correct for the URL in the error log), what does "http://web.address/VaultNotifyService/V ... rvice.asmx" show? Does it get the VaultNotifyService Service Description page?

If that works, it may be worth checking into the vaultnotifyservice.txt file on your Vault Server (by default it is stored in %WINDIR%\Temp\sgvaultnotify\ to see if there are any errors in the Notification server configuration.

Note, if you do not use application notifications, you could also turn it off from within Visual Studio ( Tools -> Source Control -> Vault (Professional) Options -> Advanced Options -> Notifications, "Enable Application Notifications"
BigBrett wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:12 am
Since updating to the 10.1 version of Vault Pro, I have been receiving the occasional message that there was an error retrieving application notification messages. The call stack is as follows:
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:44 pm

I don't use the GUI client very much, so haven't noticed anything in that regard.

The service description page dos display.

The log file has a number of continuing errors as follows (generic extract):

Code: Select all

2020-06-15 07:35:17 AM <generic>: Failed to purge notification data [System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Transaction (Process ID 66) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
ClientConnectionId:9b0065bf-a66d-497e-954a-341bf6987d4a
Error Number:1205,State:51,Class:13] Transaction (Process ID 66) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

2020-06-15 07:35:17 AM <generic>: Could not process the event. [VaultLib.VaultDbException: Error in the application.

2020-06-15 07:35:22 AM <generic>: Failed to save work item properties when adding notification event.  EventType: 64  NativID: 12959 Date: 2020-06-15 07:35:13 AM [System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Transaction (Process ID 75) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
ClientConnectionId:267f3d6a-1926-44a4-b060-8799bec04d76
Error Number:1205,State:51,Class:13] Transaction (Process ID 75) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

2020-06-15 07:35:22 AM <generic>: Could not process the event. [VaultLib.VaultDbException: Error in the application.
   at VaultNotifyService.VaultNotifyServiceSQL.AddNotificationEventForWorkItem(Int32 nEventType, Int64 nNativeID, VaultDateTime dtEvent, String strWorkItemFieldEventValuesXml, Int32& nNotificationEventID)
I have work item notifications enabled, but done via email. I had some source control watch notifications on but recently removed them.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:04 am

If you have turned OFF (unchecked) application notifications within your Vault options from within Visual Studio, you shouldn't see any related problems regarding application notification messages. I'll look into see if there's something related to that setting and the error message in the OP.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:28 am

No need to worry any further about this, it is a server connection problem.

I am working from home using my fibre line to connect to the Vault Pro server in the office. I saw the notification error message while I was working, and also noticed that my server connection dipped at exactly the same time.

Regards,
Brett

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 am

Thx for the update.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear