Unable to check in one ornery file

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

martillodecampo

Unable to check in one ornery file

Post by martillodecampo » Sun May 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm using VS 2017 Pro with Valut Standard 10.0.0(736) and i have the new Visual Studio extension installed and everything is working great, except for one pesky 11KB aspx file that I'm unable to check in. Every time I try to check it in Vault says that the check-in failed and eventually it throws a timeout error. I 'm not having issues with any other files. I turned on chunked encoding in the Vault options but it didn't make a difference. Any ideas? Here's what Vault displays in the Messages panel:

[5/14/2017 3:54:40 PM] Preparing data to begin transaction
[5/14/2017 3:54:40 PM] Beginning transaction
[5/14/2017 3:54:41 PM] Check in $/WebSolutions/PBISolutions/PBI-WGSolution/WebSite/Reporting/ItemsOrderSummary.aspx
[5/14/2017 3:55:55 PM] Upload for item $/WebSolutions/PBISolutions/PBI-WGSolution/WebSite/Reporting/ItemsOrderSummary.aspx failed, retrying...
[5/14/2017 3:56:29 PM] Upload for item $/WebSolutions/PBISolutions/PBI-WGSolution/WebSite/Reporting/ItemsOrderSummary.aspx failed, retrying...
[5/14/2017 3:57:16 PM] Upload for item $/WebSolutions/PBISolutions/PBI-WGSolution/WebSite/Reporting/ItemsOrderSummary.aspx failed, retrying...
[5/14/2017 3:57:16 PM] Ending the transaction
[5/14/2017 3:57:17 PM] Transaction failed
[5/14/2017 3:57:16 PM] Upload for item $/WebSolutions/PBISolutions/PBI-WGSolution/WebSite/Reporting/ItemsOrderSummary.aspx failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The request was aborted: The operation has timed out."
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The request was aborted: The operation has timed out. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.processUploadRequest(HttpWebRequest request, Int64 bytesWrittenThisFile, Int64 uncompressed_length, String itemPath, Boolean updateProgress)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItemCommon(Object t_item, String txID, String fileToken, String diskfile, Boolean bIsImport, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int64& bytesWrittenThisFile)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int64& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.UploadThread.ProcessCommand(UploadThreadCommand command, UploadThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
[5/14/2017 3:57:16 PM] Transaction failed

Beth

Re: Unable to check in one ornery file

Post by Beth » Mon May 15, 2017 7:42 am

The log files might tell us more. Find your Vault server log found on the Vault server at %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log and your Vault client log found on your machine %Temp%\VaultGUIclient.txt. You can either look in there for errors corresponding with the time 5/14/2017 3:57:16 PM, or you can feel free to send those log files to support.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

martillodecampo

Post by martillodecampo » Sat May 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Beth,

Thank you for answering so prompty. I apologize for taking to long to reply. I don't think I received an email notification that you had replied to my post. Below are the errors from the log on the server. I ran though the sequence a few times and the errors are always the same. I also tried saving off a copy of the changed file, undoing the checkout, checking the file out again, merging the changes back into the checked out file and then checking the file back in again. That also produced the same errors in the log.

Thanks for your help

----5/20/2017 10:34:01 PM --()-- VaultFileUploadHandler.ashx encountered: FailFileInvalidCheckSum
----5/20/2017 10:34:01 PM kfieldhammer--10.242.2.4(10.242.2.4)--SSL Disabled Uncaught Exception: 1505 : FailFileInvalidCheckSum
----5/20/2017 10:34:01 PM kfieldhammer--10.242.2.4(10.242.2.4)--SSL Disabled at VaultService.Handlers.VaultFileUploadHandler.<ProcessRequestAsync>d__8.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Web.TaskAsyncHelper.EndTask(IAsyncResult ar)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.OnAsyncHandlerCompletion(IAsyncResult ar)

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon May 22, 2017 8:06 am

There are a couple things that can be tried with this, but lets start with the suggestions in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=4974.
Beth Kieler

martillodecampo

Post by martillodecampo » Mon May 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Thanks Beth.

I gave that a try, but unfortunately the check-in still failed and the error in the log on the server was exactly the same.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 23, 2017 7:44 am

Is the file very large?

Could you try a different working folder entirely for that file and see if it will check in?
Beth Kieler

martillodecampo

Post by martillodecampo » Tue May 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Done! I undid the pending check-in, used the Vault client to move the file to another subdirectory within the same VS project, checked it out, added one character, checked it back in. No problem. Then I checked it out again, used DiffMerge to merge the new changes into the file, and tried to check it in again but it failed with the same FailFileInvalidCheckSum error. After that I undid the checkout, moved it back to its original folder, checked it out, merged in the new changes and tried to check it in. Same error. :?

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 24, 2017 8:20 am

This sounds like something might be flagging the changes as a virus. I had see such a thing happen once many years ago.

Divide up your changes into smaller pieces, and check in one piece at a time. Or you can test this out with a new blank file with the changes added to it one at a time.
Beth Kieler

martillodecampo

Post by martillodecampo » Wed May 24, 2017 10:43 am

There are four distinct blocks of code involved. Three of them checked in successfully. This code triggered the FailFileInvalidCheckSum error:

Code: Select all

<script>
        $(function() {
            $("#btnClearFilters").click(function() {
                $(this).hide();
                $("#divReport").hide();
                $("#divMessages").hide();
                $("#divGrid").hide();
            });
        });
    </script>
Thanks.

martillodecampo

Post by martillodecampo » Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 am

Hello,

Just checking to see if you have any thoughts about my last post...

Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 31, 2017 9:18 am

I ran some tests and have no problem with that section of code. The thing stopping it would have to be something related to your network security or antivirus.

If you would like me to test with the actual file, you can feel free to provide the one file either here or email it to support.
Beth Kieler

martillodecampo

Post by martillodecampo » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks Beth. I've attached the complete file to this post.
Attachments
ItemsOrderSummary.zip
Offending file
(2.35 KiB) Downloaded 503 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 pm

I still don't have any problems with the file here. Vault itself won't care about the code inside the file.

You might try adding the problem code line by line to see if that helps.

Since you are on Vault 10, you can also experiment against our Vault demo server. Sign in as guest and some number, such as guest 1, and the password matches the login, and the server is vaultdemo.sourcegear.com.
Beth Kieler

martillodecampo

Post by martillodecampo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks Beth. I'll give that a try

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Hopefully this was worked out.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear