Prevent exclusive checkout on mergeable files

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ThomasC

Prevent exclusive checkout on mergeable files

Post by ThomasC » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 am

Some months ago when Vault 4.0 was first released I asked whether it would be possible to prevent users from checking out mergeable files exclusively. As I read the most current documentation on Vault 4.1, it still does not appear that this restriction has been created.

Am I correct in stating that in Vault 4.1 you cannot prevent users from checking out mergeable files exclusively? The reason this feature is so important is so that a manager can impose an Edit-Merge style development style and prevent developers from accidentally or accidentally-on-purpose ignoring this mandate and then going on vacation.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Users can check out files exclusively in 4.1 as well. The Vault admin can undo checkout of files in the Vault admin client in Source Code Repositories->RepositoryName->UndoCheckout.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

mshe

Post by mshe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:56 pm

I second this idea - I've been looking for this feature since v3.0 of Vault.

While undo checkout in the admin tool works, it leaves the developer who checked out the file with a renegade. It would be nice to enforce CVS style development without resorting to admin undos :)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:27 am

I'll add this as a feature request -- the ability for Admin to turn off Exclusive locks.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Chiramisu

Re: Prevent exclusive checkout on mergeable files

Post by Chiramisu » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:31 am

I know this is a very old thread, but here we are on version 6.1 and this feature still has not been added.

I would like to reiterate this request. It gets tiresome having to constantly unlock files that people forget to check-in, or they have not taken the time to configure their concurrent development settings to the CVS Style. This, by the way, should also be an option; i.e. Admin ability to configure the default for this setting. As the client must connect to the server anyway, I see no reason why the server could not push this configuration out to the clients.

Regards,
Matthew :)

lbauer

Re: Prevent exclusive checkout on mergeable files

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for your additional comments. I'll add them to the feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear