Problem Installing VaultClient_4_1_1_18060

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jgrolon

Problem Installing VaultClient_4_1_1_18060

Post by jgrolon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:24 pm

Hello Group

My company recently updated to Vault 4_1_1_18060

Our developers have computers running Vista, with Visual Studio 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5.

The Server installation went well, and only my client installation didn't work. Configuration for the system that is failing to install is the one described above. In this machine I had VaultClient_4_0_6_15954 working with Vista, Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 3.5.

When I tried to update to Vault Client 4_1_1_18060, the system gives me the error: "The system cannot find the file specified" when the installation wizzard Status is: "Installing components for Visual Studio Integration DO NOT CANCEL .. " At that point a new popup shows me a message reading "There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.. "

I unistalled the previous version to see if this made any difference but the problem remains. I have also checked for latest service packs for .NET and Visual Studio.. I just can't solve the problem..

Any suggestions to troubleshoot any further will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance for your help.
Juan G. Rolón

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 am

Verify that the following files that are needed for the client custom actions are in the client folder when you get the error message:
VaultVsipRegistry64.xml
VaultVsipRegistry64_9.xml
VaultVsipRegistry.xml
VaultVsipRegistry_9.xml
FortressConnectionRegistry64.xml
FortressConnectionRegistry64_9.xml
FortressConnectionRegistry.xml
FortressConnectionRegistry_9.xml
If you don't have all of those files you may have a corrupted installer. Try re-downloading the installer.

If the files are there, the installer may not have permission to access them for some reason. Try running the installer from an elevated command prompt:
From the Start menu, [All Programs] -> [Accessories].
Right-click on “Command Prompt.”
Select “Run as administrator.”
Continue through the User Account Control dialog.
From the command line, start the Vault installation. For example: c:\temp\VaultClient.msi
We have had other reports of the "The system cannot find the file specified" during login that were related to the invalid permissions to the Machine Keys folder (using the 3.5 framework). I don't *think* this would effect the client installer, but you may also want to verify that the user you are logged in as has full access to:

%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

jgrolon

Post by jgrolon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:34 am

Mary;

I reviewd your notes. The files you mention are there prior to the installation failing; I also tried running as admin and downloading a new install package.. none of it os working.. Is there any way I can do a manual install ? Or maybel deleting registry keys ? If so .. which ones ?

BTW I was unable to find the machinekeys folder you mentioned in your note..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Juan G. Rolón

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:17 am

Is the client install only failing on your machine? Are there any differences in the setup of the machines that succeed and your machine?

Is there a Vault_client_install.log file in your %temp% directory? If so, does it have any more information about the error?

The machine keys on Vista are in (sorry):
%allusersprofile%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys
or
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

Verify that the permissions are correct on that folder.

Other users who ran this error (during login - all using the 3.5 framework) fixed it by deleting and re-creating themselves as a user on that machine (then login as that new user).

See the following thread:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=9987
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

andrews

Post by andrews » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:09 pm

We've got this exact problem on an XP SP2 machine. The user is an administrator and the aforementioned files are present when the error message appears.

The problem occurs with both the 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 installers.

Vault_client_install.log reads as follows:-
Log started at 2 Jul 2008 - 09.54.36

Loading Client Custom Actions
Adding registry keys for VSIP integration...
Getting the VS2005 Path
Getting the VS2008 Path
VS2005 path is:
VS2008 path is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\
Installing Vsip Registry Keys
Looking for program install directory
InstallDir is: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Install Directory is:C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Installing Keys from file C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\FortressConnectionRegistry_9.xml
Adding CodeBase Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Packages\{62D7AF8C-D6FB-4a5f-84AC-5B397D72C1C3} FortressConnectionService.dll
Adding Code Base Value
Looking for program install directory
InstallDir is: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Install Directory is:C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Installing Keys from file C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VaultVsipRegistry_9.xml
Adding CodeBase Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Packages\{1EA47954-8515-402d-82D9-B5C332120A8D} VaultVsipClient.dll
Adding Code Base Value
Running Devenv /setup
Checking for Windows Vista...
Devenv setup failed: The system cannot find the file specified
There is also a MSI25af2.LOG file with the following:-
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action VsipClientCustomActions.exe, location: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VsipClientCustomActions.exe, command: -I
=== Logging stopped: May 2008 9:54:14 ===

andrews

Post by andrews » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:07 am

To answer my own question - Visual Studio 2008 had been uninstalled at some stage prior to our attempts to install Vault. It seemed the uninstaller didn't do a great job as there were still many 2008 files around & items in the registry.

We cleaned these up, installed 2005, and now Vault installs happily.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 am

Glad to hear you got the client installed.

The next version of Vault/Fortress will have some more checks in the client installer to verify that VS2005 and/or VS2008 is actually installed so *hopefully* people won't run into this issue in the future.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear

DavidWalker

Same error message - only when trying to connect

Post by DavidWalker » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:14 am

I am also receiving the error message "The system cannot find the file specified."

I am on Windows XP SP3 with VS 2008 installed.

I've checked and I have the xml files listed above.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, still not working.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 am

Can you send or post your Vault_client_install.log file in your %temp% directory?

What was happening with andrews was he had uninstalled a version of VS and VS didn't clean up the registry so in the registry it was as if VS was still installed.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear