Weird Check out failed for "foo.aspx" failure mess

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

utunga

Weird Check out failed for "foo.aspx" failure mess

Post by utunga » Sun May 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Hello,

Maybe this is not a problem - I haven't noticed any problems as a result yet, but it is certainly disturbing.

My environment:
Vault 4.1.1 (Server and Client).
VS 2008 IDE with integrated Vault.
I'm in New Zealand the server is in New York (so latency can be up to 200ms ish and we're in diff timezones etc - not sure this is relevant).

What doesn't work right.

If I start to edit an aspx.cs file (or an ascx.cs), the automatic check out for edit kicks in (correctly) but it shows a message saying
"Check out for foobar.aspx failed because you already have the file checked out" when in fact I dont.

In testing just now I think this only happens on aspx or ascx files that use the newer 'web application' mode.. that is things work OK when it auto checks out the 'set' consisting of {foo.ascx, foo.ascx.cs and foo.ascx.resx (old style) but when I edit an aspx.cs (or ascx.cs) file that is part of a new style set {foo.ascx, foo.ascx.cs and foo.ascx.designer.cs} then I get this weird failure message.

Note that I get the failure message even though the file is in fact checked out correctly and that, to all intents and purposes there are no other problems.

Explicitly right clicking and checking out the whole 'set' of files from the ascx down seems to work fine no matter what the 'type'.

Auto-checkout of plain .cs files etc seems to work fine too.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon May 05, 2008 7:30 am

Can you have your admin check in the Vault Admin web pages to see if that file is listed under Undo Check Out?

jeff.rausch

Re: Weird Check out failed for "foo.aspx" failure mess

Post by jeff.rausch » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 am

Have you been able to solve this issue? I'm running into the same problem.
If I try to edit any 'code behind' files (any aspx.cs, ascx.cs, or asmx.cs) I receive the error. The files were previously not checked out and when I try to edit them it correctly checks them out, even though I receive this error. Also, when this happens I can't undo checkout in visual studio, I have to go into the vault client to undo checkout on the files.

If I edit the aspx file and it automatically checks out then it works fine, or if I right click in the solution explorer to checkout it will work fine.

Also, if I edit the aspx.cs file and receive the error then I can't undo the change. But at this point (even though the aspx and aspx.cs are checked out but not the aspx.designer.cs) if I right click in the solution explorer and try to check out the aspx file I will receive the error again and the designer file will become checked out but then I can undo the checkout correctly in the visual studio client.

I have tried undoing all checkouts and clearing the checkout cache as recommended here (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 22&t=10318) but I still receive the error.

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Jeff.

This issue was never reproduced/isolated. What version of Vault are you running? Do you have a high latency link to the server?

If you turn on the diagnostic logging (in the Visual Studio source control options), reproduce the problem, and send me the log, I can dig deeper.
The log file is %TEMP%\VaultVsipLog.txt or %TEMP%\VaultVsipLog2008.txt. You can email it to ian at sourcegear dot com.

EDIT: One more question. Are the problematic files in a web site project, or a application project? (Or both?) The former is just a path, the latter has a project file. And they look different in the solution explorer:
Attachments
WebSiteVsWebApp.png
WebSiteVsWebApp.png (24.32 KiB) Viewed 35997 times
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

jeff.rausch

Post by jeff.rausch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:24 am

Thanks for the quick response Ian,

I'm running version 4.1.1 (18060). The server is on site so the latency is very low (<1ms when pinged).
The problematic files are in a web application project, we don't have any web site projects so I'm not sure if it would happen in them or not.

I couldn't find where to turn on the diagnostic logging. I went into VS Options, Source Control, and then there's 3 options: Plug-in Selection, Environment, and Plug-In Settings.
Plug-in Selection only lets you select the plug-in to use for source control.
Environment has options for when you open a solution and checking out/in files.
Plug-in settings lets you open the options control panel from the vault client but I scanned through there and couldn't find anything about logging.

Thanks,
Jeff

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:27 am

I recommend that you upgrade to 4.1.2. You can upgrade just your client if upgrading the server is logistically difficult. If the problem persists, 4.1.2 has the diagnostic logging option.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

jeff.rausch

Post by jeff.rausch » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:10 am

I updated to 4.1.2. I still couldn't find a place in the options to turn on logging but when I searched through the help I found where to add a log file location into the registry to turn on IDE logging. Also, I'm using VS2008, not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I have attached this log file.
11:00:54-11:01:19 - Open VS
11:02:34 - The file is edited so it's automatically checked out and I receive the "You already have this file checked out" error
11:04:00 - I try to undo the checkout (which looks like it works but the file remains checked out)
11:04:54 - I right click on the .asmx file and checkout again - the above error is displayed again.
11:05:57 - I undo checkout and it works correctly.
11:07:07 - Close VS
Attachments
VSDebug.txt
VisualStudio debug log
(35.41 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

ian_sg

Post by ian_sg » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 am

Oh, you're using the Classic Visual Studio Client. I foolishly assumed you were using the Enhanced Client, my mistake. I'm not the expert on the Classic Client. I'll get someone involved who is.
Ian Olsen
SourceGear

Terence

Post by Terence » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:19 pm

We acknowledge that this is a bug and we're currently working it.
Terence McGhee
SourceGear

aquinas

Post by aquinas » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:46 am

I'm getting this error too. It's REALLY frustrating. Also, I when I try to use the Enhanced Client, it closes my solution, but when I reopen it, it has reverted back to Classic Client...

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:17 pm

This bug has been fixed for Vault 4.1.3, due out sometime next week. This is a fix to the Classic client integration.

If you prefer to use the Enhanced client, you would need to unbind and rebind your projects.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... highlight=
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager