Upgrade to 4.1.1 less than stellar

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ndecker@uss.com

Upgrade to 4.1.1 less than stellar

Post by ndecker@uss.com » Sat May 17, 2008 10:44 am

Happily been with 3.5 for a year or two. Upgraded to 4.1.1. Insttallation is not what I would call robust. I had even tested this with a virtual server and our old 3.5 server & database and it went fine. On production machine, however:

1) my admin account was told it wasnt an admin.
2) my other accounts were told there weren't enough licenses and that admin had to fix that.

Finally got past THAT after reading here and finding out the install program had neglected to grant the service dbowner to the sgvault database. Okay, finally I can get in with admin.

3) no other users can get in - it ate my registered domain apparently but kept saying user/password was wrong. So set the domain, users can get in.

4) for some reason, Vault designers thought on the 3.5-4.x conversion that they should just grant EVERYONE access to EVERY repository, regardless of what they had before. So I have to basically go to EVERY repository and take people back OUT of things they shouldn't be able to see. Frustrating

5) I'm in the admin website. I can view their rights for each repository, but no way to modify it. So okay, I try doing it by repository. Clck on the repository, get tree. Click on any subitem other than statistics, and I get the common .net error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Is the install program just creaky? nothing useful in the vault log, it just says the same thing.

I know software has bugs, but these type should not get through to the user without some idications durign the install that something went wrong (mine went without error).

Is there a planned update to the webclient ? Could I add to the list of supporters of a proper Win32 admin client? A web-based admin tool doesn't really gain you much when you have a win32-client to install anyhow. I love Vault and have talked several areas of my company into using it, but I'm wondering if I'll be stuck goign back to 3.5.

Any help would be appreciated....
Last edited by ndecker@uss.com on Sat May 17, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndecker@uss.com

Post by ndecker@uss.com » Sat May 17, 2008 11:28 am

Okay, things better - a full reinstall with repair of the server has fixed the subitems. Able to go through and clean up permissions. Would be nice if they carried over their past explicit permissions first before inheriting from the default permissions for the repository.

Also, would probably be easier if you could select a user, and check the 6 repositories they have access to, rather than going to 6 repository pages and slowly adding each user 6 times.

I have to assume the upgrade setup program for the server had more issues that stemmed from not granting ownership. Looks okay now