Multiple instances of Vault

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tjruska

Multiple instances of Vault

Post by tjruska » Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 am

Is it possible to "spin" up more then once instance of the Vault on one machine? I have a request/inquiry to spin up another instance.

From what I can gather, I have two options:
1. Duplicate the existing web service and point it to another DB?
2. Build a new server and install the software, etc.
Has anyone else run into this requirement?

And yes I am a newbie in the sense that this product was dumped on me for support and I have no "official" training so I will be asking questions of the group until I get up to speed.

Thanks, Tom

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 am

I don't believe it will be possible to run two instances of Vault like that. It's not tested nor supported. Some names are hard coded and can't be changed.

Is there a particular reason why you want two running? If I understood that better, I might be able to offer some suggestions.

tjruska

Post by tjruska » Wed May 21, 2008 9:46 am

Our current Vault setup support approx. 150 developers plus 6 build servers. This is quite a load. All of this is hitting one SQL server DB. It is currently at 20G in size. Now I have another team wanting to use it for Siebel artifacts. There space requirements are 2 repositories each potentially up to 10-20G in size. We are already seeing performance issues so to reduce risk to the current teams, we could just use the existing vault setup, duplicate the service, point that new service to the new DB name and instance. But if the sgvault DB name is hardoded into the software, that would be a problem.
I am open to any suggestions or best practice. We can take this offline too if need be.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 21, 2008 10:45 am

Do all developers need access to all projects? Is there a good dividing line? If there is, you could have a separate Vault server just for some users and the first one for other users. That would involve another server or the use of virtual machines, and either another SQL install or SQL instance.

What about moving the SQL server portion to a beefier machine?

Have you checked out our KB article on improving Vault performance?

Also, having very good Vault database maintenance in place really helps with performance as well.

tjruska

Post by tjruska » Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I have seen the KB articles on vault performance and have applied those that I can or have rights to. I'll have the DBAs look at that other article regarding database maintenance too. So if I understand correctly, the only correct and (supportable) way to achieve what I want is to create another server, install Vault and point it to a new SQL instance for this new team vs. leveraging the existing server somehow.

Thanks, Tom

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 22, 2008 8:01 am

That's what we'd recommend, two separate Vault server machines.

Note: If the SQL Server machine is fairly robust, you could create another SQL Server instance, and point the second Vault server to that instance. In the installation, the SQL Server connection would be configured as machinename\instancename.

To improve performance you could also delete folders or branches in the tree you don't need anymore. They can always be undeleted.

We don't recommend obliterating, as it can prevent successful export\import operations if you ever want to move portions of one repository to another or to another Vault database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager