Vault Enhanced client doesn't work with unprivileged login

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

paulb

Vault Enhanced client doesn't work with unprivileged login

Post by paulb » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:31 am

When as my normal unprivileged user, I try to select the Vault Enhanced client in the source control selection in vs2008 the window opens, but closes immediately.

When I run vs2008 as an admin (r.mouse, runas administrator) the enhanced client works as advertised.

Will this be fixed in a future version, of is there a workaround? Running as admin is considered bad practice.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 am

I just ran a test with that and didn't get the same results.

Under which user account did you install Vault? How about VS 2008?

Does VS 2008 work with the Classic client?

Could you start up Visual Studio Enhanced Client logging to see if you receive any errors?

Are there any errors in your Event Viewer on that machine?

paulb

Post by paulb » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:20 am

This is what I did:

On Vista sp1 with Visual Studio 2008

My user is a normal user. Running as my normal user (user) the msi prompts UAC, I logon with a dedicated local admin account (admin).

The install completes normally.

When running visual studio as user doesn't allow my to select the enhanced client, the classic clients works. The window shows for a brief moment, but closes immediately and the selection is reset to the previous selection.

When running as admin, everything works as expected.

I tried to enable the logfile, but nothing is being logged (I set classesToLog to all).

Amy

Post by Amy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:39 am

Hello Paul-

I am attempting to recreate your experience here at SourceGear.
May I ask what version of Vault you upgraded from?

Thanks!

paulb

Post by paulb » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:38 am

version 3.5.3

Amy

Post by Amy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi again Paul-
A quick update for you.
I was able to reproduce the problem as you experienced it and I am looking for a viable workaround.
Unfortunately, the best I can offer right now is to use the Classic Client rather than the Enhanced Vsip Client.
Rest assured that we are aware of the problem and will continue to work with you to resolve the issue.
Thanks for your patience.

paulb

Post by paulb » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:20 am

Good to hear you were able to reproduce, working with the classic client is not a problem for now.

Hopefully you can solve this in the next version.

jboy

Re: Vault Enhanced client doesn't work with unprivileged login

Post by jboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:57 am

I have a very similiar, if not the same, problem.

In Visual Studio 2008, I can't select the Enhanced Client from the Source Control options, plug-in panel. When I click on it, the drop-down reverts back to what it was previously.

Strangely this was not afflicting me until just recently on this computer, it doesn't afflict my collegue who has a similar set of software, and it doesn't afflict my old desktop at home.

On this computer

It *was* working before, but I had installed IIS metabase and IIs6 compatability option AFTER installing VS2008 and so there was some strange Interop.COMException error whenever I opened web application projects. Resolving that problem required me to uninstall VS2008 and so I uninstalled Vault too.

Having reinstalled everything I have now swapped one problem for another ... &&&#$%%%@^&(%!!

On the "other" computers

The other two computers that do NOT have this problem are significantly different, but I guess what they both have in common is that they are both VS2005 legacy installsets. By that I mean, they have not rebuilt in 18+ months and would have originally had VS2005 on them and much older versions of Vault that have been upgraded gradually overtime. "this" computer is brand spanking new, and thus has far fewer odds and ends installed.

God! I hope I don't have to reinstall VS AGAIN.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:40 am

Did you install VS first or Vault first?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BarryBri

Post by BarryBri » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Has there been any new information or resolution to this issue?

I just installed Vault 4.1.4(18402) on a Vista Ultimate 64bit machine with VS 2008 already installed and I have this same issue, if I select the enhanced client in VS/Options/Source Control a dialog opens and immediately closes and the setting reverts to the previous setting (None or Classic).

This is my first install of Vault.

Any information would be appreciated.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:15 pm

This has turned out to be a problem with the Visual Studio install. The resolution is to perform a repair install of Visual Studio.

I had one other user who had to perform a full re-install of Visual Studio, so if the repair doesn't work, I'd recommend this next. Vault had to be reinstalled in this case also, because it still needs to be installed after Visual Studio.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support