Vault server upgrade from 3.5.0 to 3.5.3

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tjruska

Vault server upgrade from 3.5.0 to 3.5.3

Post by tjruska » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:42 am

Are there any specific things one needs to be concerned with in this upgrade? Outside of the normal backup of DB prior to applying the patches is it really necessary to use the updated client too? Any harm if the 3.5.0 client was mistakenly used? I have about 200 developers that need the new client and I am looking at any potential risks if they don't update the client for some reason. I can force a client install via SMS if need be. Will their old preferences/settings be retained or do they need to reset everything?

TIA, Tom

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 am

You should be able to upgrade to 3.5.3 from 3.5 with no intermediary steps. Back up your database first.

We highly recommend that clients and servers be the same version, as some bug fixes and features need updates to both client and server.

However, 3.5 clients can connect to 3.5.3 servers, so a delay of a day or so may not cause problems. Users should run the client upgrade over their current installation. Client settings are saved in the database or in the registry, so they shouldn't need to be reset.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

tjruska

Re: Vault server upgrade from 3.5.0 to 3.5.3

Post by tjruska » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:54 am

We have 2 physical servers running the server software. So when we apply the patch to the first one, how do we answer the question regarding do you want to keep the existing database (yes) when upgrading the second server? Wouldn't the DB be patched at that point? Is the install smart enough to recognize this or will it just apply it again? What is the recommended procedure in this case.

Thanks, Tom

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Is this a case of where you have two servers connecting to one database? That is not supported and could be very bad.

If you select for it to not keep the database, it will delete the entire thing and create a new blank database.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tjruska

Post by tjruska » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:59 pm

For the record, I inherited this setup :)
In reality the second server is there for fail-over purposes only and is not use. Only the first server is hit for everyday production use.
So in our current scenario, how can I update the 2nd server without affecting the database that was already upgraded? Can this even be done?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

tjruska

Post by tjruska » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:56 am

Is it necessary to/should one stop the Vault web service prior to applying the patch to ensure all clients are disconnected? Even though it has been communicated that we are upgrading and Vault will be down, is there any harm if some clients were still connected and the patch is applied? I am concerned about any corruption that may occur.

Thanks, Tom

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:46 pm

You don't want people checking in at that time. The best idea would be to perform an iisreset by going to Start - Run and typing iisreset. That will disconnect everyone.
Beth Kieler