Macintosh client?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dhjdhj

Macintosh client?

Post by dhjdhj » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:52 pm

Any chance of a Mac-based GUI client?

Beth

Re: Macintosh client?

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:43 pm

I have a feature request open that I can add your "vote" to.

The Eclipse client works on Mac. Is that what you might be looking for, or are you looking for the entire GUI client in a Mac version?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:46 pm

No, I want a native Mac client....first of all, I'm using XCode with RubyCocoa and I'm also using Komodo. I'm also using FreePascal/Lazarus and am looking at RealBASIC (which is very popular although I probably will end up NOT using that).

I'm also looking at Eclipse, IntelliJ and Borland JBuilder for minor things.

So something that's designed for a specific IDE will not be helpful.

D

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:55 pm

I think there is a feature request open for that. I can add your "vote" if you like.
Beth Kieler

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Will it help? :o
Beth wrote:I think there is a feature request open for that. I can add your "vote" if you like.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:39 pm

It could. The more votes an item gets, the higher priority it gets.
Beth Kieler

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:13 pm

OK - please add my vote again :D

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:54 am

You can get an insight into how we prioritize bugs and feature requests by reading:

http://vaultblog.sourcegear.com/article ... s-tag-list

As a specific response to your question, it hasn't yet reached the "Very Popular" level of requests, but we're getting there.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

hpmxxx

Post by hpmxxx » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:03 am

Hi Beth
Beth wrote:I think there is a feature request open for that. I can add your "vote" if you like.
Please add my vote, too.

Thanks
hp

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:24 am

Unfortunately, while you are waiting to decide whether it's worth your while to support Macs, those of us who need version control NOW have given up and switched to other systems. For example, I have in fact discovered that SVN is actually pretty good, particularly since there are decent GUI clients for both Windows (Tortoise) and Macintosh (Versions). While I still prefer the VSS/Vault database approach, the reality is (as a friend of mine at Microsoft once said) "Perfect is the enemy of good enough"

You guys need to be making the bet in anticipation of it being popular. Right now, you have lost at least one company that I know of (mine) because of no Mac GUI support. It will be way too hard to get us to switch later.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 am

hpmxxx: I will add your vote. Thanks for your feedback.

dhjdhj:
Do you work with Eclipse? We have added an Eclipse client that works on a Mac.

We do still have a command-line client that will work on a Mac as well.

If you are currently a customer, then it might be good to contact us directly. Sometimes if we better understand exactly what a customer needs, we can provide some solution.

As far as Subversion goes, we have a comparison posted here: SourceGear Vault vs. Subversion. Both Subversion and Vault have benefits, but not all users will need the same thing. It's a matter of picking what will be the right tool for the job.

We do appreciate your feedback, and I'll pass your comments along.
Beth Kieler

dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:53 am

Yes, we work with eclipse but we don't "live" in it. So for example, we use a lot of other tools that generate or manipulate code and data. For example, I'm using ANTLR a lot these days. We also use things like photoshop and illustrator and Excel and Word and so we keep images, spreadsheets and documents in our version control system as well.
I do know about your command-line client, and as for the comparison between vault and SVN, I'm the one who requested that your team create that document in the first place :D

The team I joined was already using svn and I was hoping to move them to Vault (which was why I wanted that white paper to help people understand the value of moving to Vault) but everyone was already used to using tools like Tortoise, SynchroX, Versions, and so forth, so the lack of a Mac GUI client was a showstopper.

The only reason I commented the other day is because I think it can be a mistake to wait until you get explicit proof of need based on requests for a Vault client. The problem is that most people looking around will not stop to ask for something, they'll just find something else.....so you end up not getting many votes "by inertia"

In the case of version control, the growth of the Mac (and iPhone related development), particularly in the corporate space along with the existence of more and more GUI clients for other version control systems should have sufficient "proof" to demonstrate the need. But I'm not running SourceGear (grin)

(NB, I'm going to stop monitoring this forum now, the issue is (unfortunately) no longer relevant.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:41 am

Well, even if you aren't monitoring, I'd like to respond for future readers.

More goes into deciding when a feature goes in than just popularity alone. Sorry if I gave the impression that there would be a lack of MAC users.

You made some very good points and I will make sure to get those in front of the team.
Beth Kieler

mattkaiser

Post by mattkaiser » Tue May 05, 2009 8:24 am

We use Vault on windows and would really like a mac client.

So please add my vote.

Thanks,

Matt

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 am

Got it. Thanks.

F: 9186
Beth Kieler