What is shadow folder?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

What is shadow folder?

Post by Tri » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:51 am

Hi,

What is shadow folder? In which circumstance is it recommended to use this feature?

Thanks in advance

Beth

Re: What is shadow folder?

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:23 am

A shadow folder is a folder on disk that has in it the most recent version of files and folders that are in Vault. A shadow folder can be set up to only cover certain parts of a repository or an entire repository. The shadow folder is updated every time a user checks in.

Shadow folders are used in many different ways by customers. Some have their shadow folders be their live websites. That way the website is automatically updated when someone checks in a change. Others use it as the location to make builds from. A few others use it as an additional way of backing up their most recent code. Basically, it's whatever need you may have for having a copy on disk that is not used by the programmers for code changes. You cannot check in changes from the shadow folders.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

aristondarmayuda

Post by aristondarmayuda » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi,

I have problem on managing the Shadow Folder. I have success create shadow folder on my Vault Server setup everything on VaultShadowFolder folder and my Shadow Folder (like allow All Access, for simple permission).

This is my configuration:

Repository Path: $/ASP Projects/SimpleASP
Physical Project Path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\projects\SimpleASP <= Just information to make sure that the Project and Shadow Folder is different location
Shadow Directory: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SimpleASP
Read-Only: False
Speed Optimizer: True
File Dates: Current Time

And for all folder (Physical Project, Shadow Folder, Vault Shadow Folder) I give permission for Internet Guest Account (IUSR_) with Full Control (just for simple permission) to make sure my Shadow Folder works.

Then I try add a file (readme.txt) into Repository, check out it, then check in it again. The result in my Shadow Folder (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\SimpleASP) doesn't contain the new file (readme.txt)

Is there I do wrong or something missing.

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:57 am

Could you show a screenshot of the Vault admin webpage showing what you set up for a shadow folder?

Do you have it set to speed optimized? Try changing that setting and make another change. Does anything happen then?

Look in your shadow folder web.config. By default that is located in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\vaultservice\vaultshadowfolder. In there is a cache path. Is that uncommented? Does that path exist on disk?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support