Server 4.14, Client 4.12: local cache incompatibility?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Tri

Server 4.14, Client 4.12: local cache incompatibility?

Post by Tri » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:17 am

Hi,

We have updated our Server from 4.12 to 4.14 last week.

I have updated my Vault Client to 4.14.18402. Right after the client update, when I logged in and connected to a repository, I have noticed that it took longer than usual (2, 3 minutes) before the GUI display the repository folder tree. Was the extra waiting time caused by a local cache conversion? Please note that I have disable the option "Check for latest version on Startup".

Some users are still using Vault Client 4.12 (while the server is 4.14) and have reported some issues:

1. Undo checkout, the more recent local file is not saved in the _sgbak folder (Backup file is set to be saved in Working folder).

2. An update local file, having 'Edited' status. When checked in. The new content is ignored and the local file content is replaced with the old content as if there was an undo check out instead of a check in.

I am still investigating with these users. For now, I would like to know if the possible cause could be the new Vault Server 4.14, and one factor I think of could be an incompatibility of the Vault client local cache. Also if you have any pointers I would appreciate to share.

Thanks in advance.

lbauer

Re: Server 4.14, Client 4.12: local cache incompatibility?

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Was the extra waiting time caused by a local cache conversion?
I don't believe we made any changes to the cache. It's possible that new information was sent to the client, so the update took longer. Are you still having the slowdown on the next login?
Some users are still using Vault Client 4.12 (while the server is 4.14) and have reported some issues
1. Undo checkout, the more recent local file is not saved in the _sgbak folder (Backup file is set to be saved in Working folder).

2. An update local file, having 'Edited' status. When checked in. The new content is ignored and the local file content is replaced with the old content as if there was an undo check out instead of a check in.
We strongly recommend that users have the same version of client as the Vault Server versopm. If, after upgrading, they experience the same problems, let us know. We're especially concerned about the "undo checkout" behavior when a file is checked in.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Tri

Post by Tri » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:10 am

In Case2, it is confirmed that was a human error (user didn't save file correctly).

Case 1, the user said that she had undone a checkout and there is no backup saved in _sgbak. She still remembers the code update and could rewrite the lost portion. I have tried to reproduced the issue (same condition: using client 4.12 against server 4.14) and was not able to reproduce the issue. In my test, the file was correctly saved in _sgbak.

So for now, I am not sure if it was really a Vault issue. I'll get back to you later if I get user feedbacks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 am

OK, let us know when you have additional info.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager