Bug - 'keep checked out' fails for edited but unchanged file

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ancap

Bug - 'keep checked out' fails for edited but unchanged file

Post by ancap » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:47 am

Greetings. I've been a paying Vault user since 2.x, and am generally happy with it. This bug has actually been outstanding all that time, but I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed yet (still happens in the newest versions) and want to formally report it. To repro-

- Create a text file containing text 'hello world', save as test.txt
- Add test.txt to Vault
- Checkout test.txt
- Edit test.txt such that its timestamp is updated so Vault detects it as 'edited', but contents unchanged - e.g. append a letter in test.txt, save it, and remove that letter and resave it. (It is probably sufficient to just 'touch' the file.)
- Checkin test.txt to Vault, choosing the 'keep checked out' option
- Vault will correctly not add a new version of the file since it is unchanged. However, it will incorrectly undo-checkout on the file rather than simply keeping it checked out.

This occurs with the Vault GUI client, or via the MS Visual Studio Vault plugin. This does not seem to be an issue with files which have actual changes, or which never have their timestamp updated (i.e. never get recognized as 'edited' by Vault). This issue mainly manifests itself when a file is changed and changed back, e.g. adding in a test or debug code or message, removing it before checkin, then next time you edit it being annoyed to find it is unexpectedly not still checked out.

Let me know if you need any more details. Thanks.

Aaron

lbauer

Re: Bug - 'keep checked out' fails for edited but unchanged file

Post by lbauer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks. We do have bug 9025 logged for this, but have not fixed it yet. I know this is a rather annoying bug, but we have a number of other issues on our plate, so this one is still open.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager