VS2008 Project remove == project delete!

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

paul-shed

VS2008 Project remove == project delete!

Post by paul-shed » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 am

Hello,

We're usig VS2008 SP1 and Vault 414 (18402) under XP SP2 and SP3.

We've seen a nasty problem in VS2008 which only seems to occur with the Vault enhanced integration. When we want to remove a file from a C++ project we select the file in VS008 and press the delete key. Then a dialog comes up that gives us a choice.

"Choose Remove to remove 'xyz'cpp' from 'myProject'"
"Chose Delete to permanentl delete 'xyz.cpp'"

If we press delete the file gets deleted from the disc and the repository. Now if we click remove it also gets deleted from the disc :shock:. The repository then has a pending delete for the file :shock: :shock: .

A remove should not remove from the disc and certainly shouldn't try and delete from Vault. If we've been editing a file and then want to remove it from the project the file and our changes will have been deleted and lost.

Is this a known problem? Any clues as to how to fix?

Regards,

paul-shed

lbauer

Re: VS2008 Project remove == project delete!

Post by lbauer » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:35 am

I saw little different behavior when I pressed delete -- I got an error and the delete was still in the pending change sest.

I'm not sure what the expected behavior is for Vault, but it doesn't look like we're handling this correctly. Have you thought of using "Exclude from project" rather than Remove?

Note that even if an item is deleted from the repository, you can always retrieve it by right-clicking on the parent folder, choosing Properties->Deleted items.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager